96 Chevy Silverado - System Advice?

Username: Avidangler

Kalifornya USA

Post Number: 1
Hey Everyone! I'm new here to forums - found the site while searching for suggestions on components to replace the stock stereo in my 96 Silverado Extended Cab Pickup. I have an idea of a system & components to use and would like to hear what you knowledgeable folks thought of it. As to music, I listen to mostly Classic Rock from the 70's to current - my lady loves the 80's so there we are.

My truck has the odd-sized stock head unit with separate stock CD below. Front doors have the separate tweeter located in front of the power window/door controls and 6"? midrange speakers in the door kick panels - Rear pillars have 4x6's but I wasn't figuring on using anything there in the new system.

I'd like to stay with a stock/stealth look all around and would like to keep cost at or under $1000 so was considering the following.

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P77DH

Front Speakers - Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 6 1/2"

Amplifier - Pioneer GM-6100F 150w x2 @ 4 ohms

Amplified Subwoofer - Kenwood KSC-SW1

So what do you guys/gals think? I've read good reviews on the above components except couldn't find any on the Pioneer amp. Any constructive criticism is welcomed!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1897
The Pioneer is a great headunit, but from my experience the half DIN headunits have been more expensive than single DIN units incorporating the same features-all that is needed is an install kit for the latter. It's up to you though...

The Infinity Perfects are an excellent way to go, but a Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Alpine, or even a PPI would do the job better.

Powered subs aren't my favorite...is there any space under the rear seats? I believe sub boxes can be bought that are made specifically for that area. They sound really good, especially with nice subs.

I hope that helped, though it sounds like you definitely know what you're doing.

Kalifornya USA

Post Number: 2
Jexx, Thanks for the reply

The rear seat has quite a bit of room under it on the drivers side. MTX makes a Thunderform enclosure to fit my truck that has either a single 10" or two 10" drivers and can be had powered or unpowered - what do you think of them? The Kenwood I was thinking of using only has a 6.5" driver.

I've never had a system with a subwoofer so don't really know what I'm doing there - just know that with only 6.5's and tweeters in front that I'll need bass fill for the system.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1902
The thunderform enclosures would be much better. I suppose coming from MTX they would have decent amps for the powered versions.

Kalifornya USA

Post Number: 3
Have decided to tweak my budget a bit and go for some better (I think) components - here's the revised list.

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P77DH

Front Speakers - Boston Acoustics SL60 6-1/2" Component System

Front Amplifier - Hifonics Zeus ZX4000 - 100 Watts x 2 chan. @ 4 Ohms

Rear Sub Enclosure & Driver - Q Logic QL-C1GMX110D + Kicker 10" CompVR CVR104

Sub Amplifier - either the Hifonics Titan TX1005D - 350 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms or Hifionics Titan TX1505D - 500 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms

Is the Pioneer DEH-P77DH a workable choice as my HU? - it has 3 sets of 4v preouts (Front, Rear, Sub/Non-Fading), a High-Pass Crossover (50/80/125Hz, -12dB/Oct.) and Low-Pass Subwoofer Crossover (50/80/125Hz, -18dB/Oct., +/-12dB), and a 3 band Parametric EQ. I know it's not an Alpine or some other big name with lots of bells & whistles but I dont want to worry about the motorized face taking a $hit on me, etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us