Ported trunk?

kyle 2191
Unregistered guest
this is just an idea i had but what about putting ports in the rear deck by the 6 by 9s to try and get the same concept as a hatch. I have a 95 lincoln with two 15s and thought about doing it but wanted some opinions before i started cutting holes in my car.

Anonymous

bump

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1947
yeah, my friend did that in his beamer b/c the trunk was sealed off from the cabin, and it made his 2 12's w/1000wRMS sound like my one ten. lol

just make sure you don't cut any wires that might be ran across the underside of the rear deck, and take off the carpet before you cut.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3786
It's a great idea if you don't mind cutting your rear deck. Couples the air in the trunk with the air in the cabin - sounds a lot better and you can gain a db or two.

I have a 18" long 4 inch wide slot centered in my rear deck, it helps enormously. My Avalanche moves so much air, and the trunk is completely sealed off, that it somewhat pressurizes which the air movement, and my rear deck would bounce like crazy. I cut the slot out, and then made a fiberglass lip/edging mold piece that fit into the slot and wrapped around the edges enough to cover up the cut edges. Sounds great and looks cool.

Bronze Member
Username: 2loud4u

Boca Raton, FL U.S

Post Number: 44
DO any of you have pics of these installs? I plan on doing the same to my convertible. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 436
Just wondering, but how would that affect the tuning?? would it be like adding a second port and change the sound any??

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3797
No, unless you actually put a port between the trunk and the cabin instead of a hole.

Bronze Member
Username: Johntheguy

Post Number: 19
i have a bmw and i had that problem and cutting holes in my deck made it better. I'm going to try to mount 2 10s in the shelf like i saw in a magazine... but thats a lot of work

Anonymous

should i have a box built with the ports on top of the box facing towards the hole?

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 157
i gota see a picture of this bro.

Username: Soundtech26

Chilliwack, BC Canada

Post Number: 4
I am running this arrangement on my 80 malibu with a pair of alpine type R 10's. While it may be possible to use the whole trunk area as a sub box it would require the use of either free air subs designed for this use or alot of subs around 10 or so for the typical system. At this level though fiberglassing and a pretty serious trunk seal would be required to prevent the seal from being blown out. I am building a custom box that sits underneath the subs. This way I am not actually using the volume of the trunk space as the enclosure but I will get a clean sounding bass response that I prefer to the delayed boom of a rear firing ported enclosure in the trunk. Also it looks sweet having 10's sitting in the back deck of my car and I still have trunk space even with an amp rack enclosed in glass. Keep it clean and loud from canada peace out.

Bronze Member
Username: Johntheguy

Post Number: 26
i don't think it would be louder with the subs aimed at the holes, it isn't for me... but try it different ways.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10724

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us