Worth installing an amp...?

Username: Krazyg

Flushing, MO United States

Post Number: 5
I've got a low (very low) end setup with some pioneer cabin speakers, a Kenwood HU and a dual "Dual" 12" enclosure powered by a Dual 800w amp. I wanted to see if it was actually worth the time/effort/money to install an amp (or amps) to power the cabin speakers. If so, what wattage should I go for, will I need two separate amps or could I use one 4-chanel amp. Would it be ok to just power the rear speakers or would they then overwhelm any sound coming out of the front ones? Any comments/advice/severe criticisms of Dual/Pioneer/Kenwood equipment is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Below are the specs of my setup which I thought you would need to help provide an answer.

Kenwood HU (KDC-MP225):
Signal to Noise Ratio - 105 dB
Max output power - 50 Watt X 4
Full Bandwidth Power - 22 Watt X 4
Preout Level - 2000 mV/10 kOhm
Preout impedance - approx 600 Ohm

Front Speakers: 4 x 6
Pioneer TS-P462 2-Way 4ohm
150w Max / 50w Nominal

Rear Speakers: 6 x 9
Pioneer TS-A6980S 4-Way 4ohm
350w Max / 80w Nominal

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 154
Dual is horrible, you have them now so keep them until you can get something better, however dont ever buy dual again.

Kenwood isnt horrible (it could be dual), but Eclipse,Pioneer and Alpine are gunna be a better choice in the future.

Pioneer Speakers arnt great either. However you should amp them anyways because they will be louder and clearer. Buy two 2 channel amps. Amp the front speakers if you can only get one amp. If you can get two amps then amp all four speakers.

You dont need the bass from your 6*9s because you have subs so its more important to fortify the front stage (Your a lot closer to the front speakers than the rear ones).

Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 8
what ever amp you do chose make sure to pay attention to the RMS power ratings. You front Pioneer's can only handle 50w Nominal (RMS). Peak ratings can be quite misleading. I would recomend buying from a company that is CEA-2006 compliant..but there are good/great amps that aren't it just makes it easier for someone without alot of experience.

This list is one of my favorite guides as far as brand...

http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 348
Kenwood...could never be Dual...When was the last time you saw Kenwood being sold at Walmart? Now when was the last time you saw Pioneer being sold at Walmart, oh wait, I did, just last week!

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 118
i have seen kenwood sold in walmart!! some of the headunits that is!!

Post Number: 6
so what kinda of power am I looking for for the two? 50w continous power per chanel for the fronts and 80w continuous per for the rear?

Post Number: 7
...that and will I need a capacitor if my setup hits 2 or 3 amps?! any suggestions on those?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us