Bench power suppy(s) connected in parallel.......

Username: Magnetvision

Post Number: 1
Got hold of 2 identical bench power supplies..each one is 80 amp continous, regulated DC switching power supply..each one puts out 13.8 volts...not adjustable. What is the proper and safe way to wire them together (parallel) to achieve 160 amps overall current output ? Do I just connect the positive terminals and nevative terminals togehter ? I tried that and they started to make a sharp "schrill"-type noise...so I quickly disconnected them. Is this possible to do ?

Thanks for any help.....

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10627
you can't use both in parallel.

Username: Magnetvision

Post Number: 4
Why not GlassWolf..can you explain in greater detail ? The seller I purchased them from said that it could be done...but when I tried it..I got that frightening noise. Can you explain the reason why this cannot be done. ? Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1915
I think no matter which way you go, the power supplies would become unstable...

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 962
More detail? Right... I can almost promise it'll be over your head...

They're not like batteries (chemical), they "create" direct current from alternating current. When you connect two batteries together, the load levels (sort of). But they don't have a voltage regulator, or a diode "tree" that can head up.

It's just too complicated, and I'm not sure I can explain it too well... Just don't do it...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10643
power supplies aren't isolated. what you end up doing is shorting out the power supplies of both AC to DC converters.

why do you need more than 80A of current for an amplifeir on a bench anyway? That's a lot of power in the room of a house.

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
What works well (all be it for short periods of time) are the portable "jump start" packs that are available now. The heavy duty model can supply a very resonable amount of current and they can be recharged from a regular 110ac outlet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us