Adding a neon light to sub box

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudio

Post Number: 14
I have these 2 about half an inch wide and about 7 inches long neon clear white or a light blue neon light now i dont know if i want to mount that under the top of the box because i dont know if the hard base would break the neon light and how will i get power to it i know i cant take wires from amp it would blow it what power source should i use:S?

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 144
The bass wont break the neon light tubes. However the excessive vibration could break some of the solder joints inside the tubes. Mount them on the top of the trunk somewhere instead.

For power, Run a 16-18 AWG from your fuse box up front. Hook it in the fuse spot where your 12v cig. lighter goes. It should be like a 10 amp fuse.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 199
I recomend using a relayed remote power wire.. Doing this, you wont ever have to worry about about turning it on/off.. It will come on whenever your amps turn on.

Doing this, as well, you can run a wire from your amplifiers remote output.. (I.E. just put the wire in with where your remote wire goes to your amp) Then just run it from there, to your lights.. You can choose to fuse it if you'd like. I personally have never fused this wire, but, I guess it's better safe than sorry.

If you want to be able to activate this by switch.. One option would be to use your main line running to the back from your battery, and using a distribution block to split a small wire from the main line.. (This however, I would DEFINATELY fuse.. My relayed remote power switch is fused shortly after the relay, which is why I dont fuse the line in the other case.) Then, run that line to where you want your switch, then from there, to your lights.

Seth

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
I recomend using a relayed remote power wire.. Doing this, you wont ever have to worry about about turning it on/off.. It will come on whenever your amps turn on.

Doing this, as well, you can run a wire from your amplifiers remote output.. (I.E. just put the wire in with where your remote wire goes to your amp) Then just run it from there, to your lights.. You can choose to fuse it if you'd like. I personally have never fused this wire, but, I guess it's better safe than sorry.

If you want to be able to activate this by switch.. One option would be to use your main line running to the back from your battery, and using a distribution block to split a small wire from the main line.. (This however, I would DEFINATELY fuse.. My relayed remote power switch is fused shortly after the relay, which is why I dont fuse the line in the other case.) Then, run that line to where you want your switch, then from there, to your lights.

Seth

Bronze Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 20
Are they the cheap running board lights that you can buy at autozone? If so just plug the wires into the speaker terminals in the back of the speaker box and your set. Never blew any doing this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Plugging lights that require a DC connection into an AC input...? Hmm... never even attempted that, didnt think it'd work well. Also, does this cause your subs to flash with the beat? And how much power does it draw away from your subs? Also, what's it do to the impedance your amp see's???

Seth

Bronze Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 21
The lights he's talking about have two or three little light bulbs inside. Yes, the lights do flash when the bass hits, and I have never noticed any difference in sound so i'm guessing they don't draw much. And, like the subs, the power is being pushed to the lights, not pulling power from the amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Yes - but the subs are what determine the impedance of the line from the amp to subs. Adding something to it, could adversely effect the impedance the amplifier see's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us