Question for glasswolf

Username: Titanbk

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 10
I started the thread for keeps cutting out. My bass and music cuts out after about 10 minutes like the track is skipping. It only does it when I am playing a cd, never when the radio is on. Also my battery voltage is jumping irratically. Now I have ran some tests and maybe this will help you understand alittle better. My alternator is putting out 174 amps and battery voltage drops to 11.2 thats a full load. My charging system is charging at 14.21v at idle, and 14.09v with my headlights and stereo on. I have 2 batteries my 1st battery is testing at 1120cca and the second is testing at 1260cca with the car off. Now when the music is on and vehicle running I watch the voltage on my 5 farad capacitor and it is jumping from 14 volts and can drop as low as 11 volts. Why is my voltage acting so irractic and could my head unit be causing it to cut out?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 202
Is it jumping around constantly or when the bass hits..?? I know I'm not Glasswolf.. (obviously, heh heh). But it sounds to me like you could have a bad ground, or maybe even a short in your power wire..

Seth

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 11
It jump around constantly when the volume is up if I have to volume on around 5 and under it will stay at approximatley 13.8-14 volts

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 12
anybody's help is good just i know from glasswolfs posts that he really know his stuff

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10575
use a meter at the amplifier to test voltage.. not the meter on a capacitor. I don't know if that voltage is before or after the cap.

could be a bad ground or loose wire
could be the amplifier clipping and going into thermal protection
could be a bad battery (bad cell) or the alternator could be failing if this only happens under load.

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 13
alright, the cap is wired right to the second battery which goes from my first battery then to my amplifier. My midtronics would pick up a bad cell in the batteries and it didn't pick up anything when tested so I will test the voltage at the amp when it starts cutting out. But why would it only cut out when the cd player is playing not the radio? I just like to know the theory behind things as well, not do something just because I am told to ya know. It's a learning process.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10588
CDs have more dynamic range, a wider frequency range, and a higher reference signal level. you'll get more volume and lower notes from a CD to put it simply. This translates to higher line voltages at the sub amplifier, which could nudge it over teh edge and cause clipping where the radio wouldn't.

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 14
oh okay nobody could seem to explain that as simply as you just did lol

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4472
That's cause glasswolf is a smooooooth talker!

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 15
I metered it out and it was at 10-11 volts right at the amp input. In the process I managed to blow my ma audio hard kore 15". thank god it's covered under warrenty. So whatcha think glasswolf any ideas or suggestions?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10600
11 volts as your line voltage?
you may want to attenuate that a bit and bring it down.
your amp may not handle line voltages that high, so it caused the amp to clip, which in turn fried the subwoofer.

the gain would have to be set to minimum, and you'd need to find where your head unit hits the peak input voltage allowable with your amplifier, and mark that on your volume knob, or remember the volume number, and don't go past it otherwise.. to avoid overdriving the amp's input stage.

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 16
well the voltage on my power wire was between 10-11 volts that is which wire you were talkin about correct? When I blew it I had to amp up 3/4 and the bass control on the head unit at +7 which is maxed. I had the bass boost on the amp off completley so there was no distortion.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10616
ah, the main power was at 11 volts, ok. I thouhgt you meant the head unit's line voltage at the RCAs.

if there was no distortion, you had a bad sub, or something.. clipping is generally what ruins speakers.

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 18
okay ya I heard MA had a problem with the HK's at first but have fixed them and are sending good one's. Now I was lookin into the RE XXX 15 what is your take on those? What 15 would you recommend for SPL?

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 19
Also I had a line driver hooked up at one point when I had 2 1400 watt JBL Grand Touring amps hooked to 2 audiobahn eternals(which are horrible and I would never recommend to anybody ever) and it didn't clip at all. But I do need a new head unit as far as that goes. The amp seemed to be getting power the whole time even when it was cutting out I hooked up my fluke meter and was watching it.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10625
I dislike MA entirely.
RE makes subs that are magnitudes better.
the XXX is for SQ. Look at the SX or MT for SPL.

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 20
okay what do you suggest for a head unit that is in the 0-$500 range? I would like to have something that will play dvd's as well as cd's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us