Forgetful Head Unit

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
hey i have an alpine CDE-9843 head unit and it doesnt remember anything, like when i set my stations it forgets after i turn the power off for more than 5 seconds, if i turn it back on befor 5 seconds every thing goes back the ways it was. is this a messed up head unit or some little mistake i made installing it? i jst pput it in about 3-4 dasy ago and hasnt worked right since. any one know what is wrong? or i should i return and get a new 1?

Bronze Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Oknagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 69
its probly not hoked up on to the power...it only gets power when you turn your car on...Im not 100% sure what to do but thats what you shoudl do!

allende5
Unregistered guest
It's not installed correctly. You need to have the main battery line from your car (the 12 volt power line which is always "hot") connected to the yellow 12 volt line on the Alpine.

The ignition line should be connected to the red input line on the Alpine unit.

It sounds like you have the ignition line from your car connected to the main 12v input line (yellow) on the head unit. So when you turn the ignition off, your head unit is reset to factory defaults.

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
i have the ignition wire goin to the ignition and battery wire going to the fuses

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
if i have the right ignition wire...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1807
Connect the red wire to your ignition wire and the yellow wire needs to be hooked up to a constant 12v (even when the car is off).

If that doens't fix the problem, you most likely have a defective unit.

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
so i wire it stright to the battery? with or without a fuse?

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
what colour is the ignition wire? i have my yellow hooked up to fuse whisch i think is the power wire ang ignition wire hooked up to an orange 1

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1808
What is the make/model of your car?

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
where did every 1 go? there is nuthing happining in this forum.

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
it is a 91 gm safari previously had a system in it and has been broken into and ripped apart several times.

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
safari/astro

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
my power wire, or what i think is my power wire,goes straight down into the radio fuse. right in the front of the fuse, and then i have a orange wire. i dont know where this goes but its together with as grey wire. i wired my own gorund because i could not find any black wire for a ground there. should i take a wire, put a fuse on it and instead of useing the stock radio fuse, just go stright through the firewall to the battery?

kdogf
Unregistered guest
lately I have been talking to some real pros in the car audio business and its intresting because differt brands are awesome some years but there next years models will be crap so every year these guys buy a bunch of head units and put them throuh a series of bench tests and most of all they have to sound good. they will then go and talk to the companys owner of the select few brands that passed to find out where the product is made and other stuff like that for example the older model of boston acoustics speakers rocked but they changed managers and standards and now you can get a $25 speaker that sounds just as good as there new top line. any way this year clarion and kenwood head units are by far superior to all other brands.

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
how does that help me any??

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1818
http://www.streetdreams.com/wires/gm/general-1979-cur.html

Check that for your wiring.

I'm assuming kdogf is a seperate user; maybe I'm wrong. That's true to some degree. But Kenwood was actually nice in the early to mid nineties. After that they became pure garbage. The new headunits are still awful. The body of their units haven't changed much if at all, and their faceplates are still lightweight and flimsy. The only thing that might make them look superior are their specs per price i.e. 24bit DAC, full motion graphics, mp3 playback etc. all cheaper than comparable units. The reason for the cheap prices? Cheap components.

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
well what should i do guys? im here for help and ur saying what should be done and not ways i can fix it... what do i do??

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1717
register.
or click "forgot my password".

astrosafari7733
Unregistered guest
i dont have a kenwood HU i got alpine u guys are getting off topic eh

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1819
Please don't be impatient...contrastively speaking, this is the fastest a thread has been responded to in the headunit forum.

quote:

what should be done and not ways i can fix it

Same thing.

Check the wiring from the link I posted to how you have it wired.

Bronze Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 43
ok sorry im used to being at the subwoofer forum things are faster there

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 45
i just want to know if putting a wire stright to the battery with a fuse on it will work? if that doesnt ill try the other things

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 46
ur link doesnt help me any, i already have all that in my alpine instruction manual. i need the wire colours for the van.

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 61
Google is your friend.

1990-91 GMC Safari Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer Brown
Antenna Trigger Pink
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 6 1/2" Dash
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green
Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue

Bronze Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 47
took what a thought was ignition and what i thought was power switched them and it works fine now... SWEET! yea i figured that when i was lookin at some diagram thing. too many ppl told me that they will always be the same colour, the power and the ignition and the ground. none of mine are the same had to make my own ground.

Paolo Perucci
Unregistered guest
Hello! I read your discussion and learned very much. I had the same problem and my Alpine 9851 forgot everything when I pulled out my key. I have an Opel Astra 1.8 and I discovered that its power ISO connector is different: ignition (kamme 15 in German) and battery (kamme 30) are switched so while connecting your Alpine, you have to cross the two connectors. My Alpine had its connector (from radio to ISO) and red wire from radio has to be connected to yellow wire from ISO and the opposite too. Now it works very well and it keeps in memory all settings and station. Hope to have been useful! Bye, Paolo

Anonymous

Im in somewhat of a bind. Im in the market for a new head unit and im stuck between an alpine cda 9855 and a panasonic CQ-C9801. If anybody has any type of experience with either of these units, can you please give me some feedback.

Silver Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 109
i got the alpine CDE-9843 and it is awesome, i got 8 speakers hooked up to it with no amps being used (bad bad idea) and it still performs great it hasnt failed me yet but it gets very hot after a few minutes of play. i dont use it often at all im saving up for amps. i would pick alpine over that, not because panasonic isnt good, maybe it is good i dont know any thing about panasonic except they are pretty good with there home entertainment. but i would use alpine just because they are more in the car audio business and they have been longer, from what i know. i dont know if this will help you any, this is just what i think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us