Capacitor

djgazman85
Unregistered guest
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me. I recently bought a capacitor off eBay to improve my system. When I got it I didn't get anything other than the capacitor itself. Could you tell me the steps that I need to carry out to get it wired up into my system. Thanks, Gareth

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10546
1 put capacitor in passenger seat of car
2 drive car to install shop
3 get service ticket
4 wait while professional installs capacitor
5 pay shop bill
6 drive car home

6 easy steps :-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4427
That's funny.
Try a google search on installing a capacitor. It's quite easy.

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 92
lol......that was funny!! i need to tell people that one when they try to get me to do it for em for free....

djgazman85
Unregistered guest
OK. I've done a bit research but there seems to be conflicting views as to how to do it. I have my cap and resistor ready. Now do I need to buy an extra power lead with inline fuse holder? Or do I just hook it up to the amp power terminal... I know it needs to be grounded too. I'm really wanting the steps for charging it up.

1. I disconnect the fuse from the power cable of my amp

djgazman85
Unregistered guest
OK. I've done a bit research but there seems to be conflicting views as to how to do it. I have my cap and resistor ready. Now do I need to buy an extra power lead with inline fuse holder? Or do I just hook it up to the amp power terminal... I know it needs to be grounded too. I'm really wanting the steps for charging it up.

1. I disconnect the fuse from the power cable of my amp

Bronze Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 62
The six easy steps are awesome lmao

djgazman85
Unregistered guest
If it's quite easy I would like to attempt it myself without paying a professional. Afterall that's one of the reasons for these forums right? DIY

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 311
Personally, everyone I know has just hooked up the power to power, ground to ground, and it was ok. I know it's not recomended, but not sure why its not recomended, heh.

Bronze Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 65
You have to pre charge it first, or it won't have a reason to work. If you just hook power up to power, ground to ground, then you are hooking up a piece of metal that is just interfering. Without a charge it won't act as another battery. That why that's not recommended lol.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10745
the only reason you pre-charge capacitors is to eliminate or reduce sparking when connecting the power and ground lines. It basically equalizes the voltage before completing the circuit.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10746
by the way nocc1n, you're completely wrong on pretty much every count there.
capacitors don't act as batteries. capacitors are pretty much paper and electrolyte fluid that store and release current.
a battery creates power through chemical interaction.

a capacitor will work just the same in a circuit with a pre-charge or without.
in the case of these large 1 farad 20 volt capacitors, they are charged slowly and put into the circuit charged to avoid large sparks for safety. that's it.

Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 1
GlassWolf can you tell me if it is okay for the capacitor to be installed upside down? cause mine is installed upside down. also the voltage meter and the lights on the capacitor stays on even after the engine is shut off. i had my friend install this for me cause he said he knows what he is doing. i personally don't have a clue about this stuff. from reading the posts seems like you are a pro.

Bronze Member
Username: Need4bass

Post Number: 37
Chad - Updise down is fine. The meter stays on when the engine is shut off because it is still connected directly to the battery.

Post Number: 2
thanks for the quick response. now my mind is at ease.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10750
see if the capacitor you're using has a small remote wire that drives the digital display.
if it does, you can use a relay and connect that to a switched ignition 12 volt source instead of the direct battery constant.
that'll turn off the visual display when the car is off to preserve the car battery.

Post Number: 3
no it doesn't. it just has the positive and negative. is this something i should be concerned about?

Bronze Member
Username: Need4bass

Post Number: 38
I don't know about your particular cap but, the display on most will only come on when there is a voltage change. Like when you start your vehicle or there is a decent bass hit that pulls more current thus lowering the system voltage. It is usually timed to stay on for 30 secs or so. The few leds don't draw much current at all anyways, so I think you are fine.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10754
yeah either way its not going to make much difference.
LEDs won't draw that much current.
usually something like 30mA at around 2 volts for most.

Post Number: 4
thanks. that was just bothering me. it does go off after a little time but it comes back on again and goes out even though nothing is running. i should have said it goes on and off.

Bronze Member
Username: Marines

Post Number: 63
hey GlassWolf i had my cap in my car i took it out then put it back in when i was hooking the wires back up it sparked on the + side of the cap and now the LEDs dont work what did i mess up and what can i do to fix it?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 312
Heh...was going to say, I've always hooked up capacitors straight up without precharging.. :-) Just disconnect my batteries ground first. Now disconnecting, this is another story, heh heh.

Have never really had a problem with it, but I almost always wear gloves when messing around with electrical wiring...just to be on the safe side.

Seth

djgazman85
Unregistered guest
Nice to see many responses on my post but none to do with what I want!

You see I got it on its own without any instructions so I'm lost as to what to do!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us