Hey Jon or Glass, question about system setup.

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 181
Hey guys, I am wanting to enhance my system setup by making some proper adjustments to my gain and crossover settings. Basically, I would like to know where to find reference test tones (ie. 0dB), and how exactly I can tell what crossover settings (HP/LP) will give me the flattest response in my car? I don't have an EQ or anything, but I want to figure out where I should set the HP/LP crossovers to get the best transition from sub to comps. What do you guys listen for when you set your systems up? If I am going to set the crossover points by ear, should I use a test tone for that as well? If so, which one? Thanks very much for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 581
well i'm neither glass nor jon, but I prefer crossing subwoofers over at no higher than 80 Hz, because thats right below the threshold where I can start to tell that sub is in the back. Almost any sub can achieve a flat response without getting nasty up to 80 Hz. Thats not the hard part. Without the proper test equipment, it will be difficult to determine how low your mids can go before they start to roll off. For most 6.5" speakers, 80 Hz is pretty safe though. You'll have a nearly impossible time telling what a good crossover point will be with literally just test tones and the naked ear. If you told us what speakers and sub you have, that would be helpful.

But then again, what do I know.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 903
Scuba Steve's right. Fade to each speaker and adjust it accordingly. You can get pretty close. But people wonder wtf you're doing sitting in your car alone with the music cranked, hovered over your HU...

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1604
"Scuba Steve's right. Fade to each speaker and adjust it accordingly. You can get pretty close. But people wonder wtf you're doing sitting in your car alone with the music cranked, hovered over your HU..."

LMAO, i have had a few long stares.

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 184
Hey thanks for the input guys. I certainly am not trying to discourage anyone from giving me advice, I just try to address everything to Glass or Jon in hopes of getting their input as well. I have a ID Max 12 in a ported enclosure tuned to around 25Hz and a set of 6.5" CDT HD braxials mounted in the factory location (lower door). I know Jonathan said you shouldn't crossover the front stage and sub at the same point, and I am now trying to figure out how I should go about setting the frequencies in order to get the best results. I can certainly do it by ear, but I would really like to have something more accurate/reliable than my hearing because I am not sure I really know what to listen for. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4820
Usually crossing the components at 125hz with a 12db/oct slope and the subs at 80hz with an 18db/oct slope gives a pretty flat response in a car. That is a very general statement, though. The reason you don't do components at 80 and subs at 80 is because it results in a bump in the frequency response at that point, because both drivers are playing the same frequency range and you have the gain of surface area. You're also dealing with a vehicle with cabin gain, in which low frequencies will be reinforced and response will be even higher at that point. A RTA is the best way to decide what works well for a flat frequency response. Second best is to have a reference system to compare to and set it until it sounds right.

This article may help a bit.
http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover2.html

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4821
Another alternative is subs at 60, 18db/oct, and components at 100-125. Gives a smooth blend as well. Just something you have to play around with, no easy answer from my part because I can't hear it to tell you anything.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 597
For most active crossovers, isn't the nominal cutoff frequency actually the point where response is -3db therefore resulting in a flat response when combined with standard linkwitz-riley passives, not a buttersworth configuration?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 919
It's all personal preference. I like a crisp sound, with loud bass (but not too muddy). On the other hand, my wife likes a warm sound, and clean, not so loud bass. It's all personal opinion.

I've had people get in my vehicle, and absolutely hate the sound. But the majority love it. Adjust accordingly...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4822
"For most active crossovers, isn't the nominal cutoff frequency actually the point where response is -3db therefore resulting in a flat response when combined with standard linkwitz-riley passives, not a buttersworth configuration?"

With 4th order Linkwitz-Rileys, that is the case. Most head units come with a preset 2nd order HPF for the mids and 3rd order LPF for the subs, namely those from Pioneer and Alpine, that's usually why I recommend them as a starting point. 4th order tends to be a little bit less smooth of a transition between the drivers as well, once car acoustics are taken into account. Too dependant, have to go by your ears :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us