Kenwood Excelon hu handle 2 ohm's?

newbie bryan
Unregistered guest
i just picked up a excelon kdc-x879 hu and a pair of infinity kappa 692.7i (6x9) speakers. all kappa speakers this year are 2 ohm's, even the little door speakers. will these 2 ohm (6x9) speakers work with my kenwood hu or will the hu amp overheat by to much current draw? thanks as iam am a newbie.

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 59
Most if not all HU's are rated for 4 ohm speakers (optimistic ratings too).

I would NOT run those speakers off the HU. Use an amp. You'll be happier, the speakers will sound better, better bass response.

If you never plan to go louder than low/medium volume levels you could prob get away with hooking them up directly.

To get an idea, go to a store that has those speakers (or any speakers really). Listen to them powered by a similar HU to yours, then through an amp.

Even at similar volume levels (loudness), i bet the amp power scenario will be cleaner sounding and have more fidelity.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 80
i agree, amping the speakers is gunna increase the SQ at all volume levels. Possible the most worthwhile upgrade to a car audio system if amping the speakers with a good amp.

newbie bryan
Unregistered guest
i will add a good amp later, but for now money is tight. i just picked up the excelon hu and the kappa speakers and they were not cheap. right now i just want to use the speakers with the hu, but i dont want to fry the hu. will these 2 ohm kappa speakers work if i go easy on the volume, or will they over heat the hu. i dont want to kill the hu as it is brand new? i find it odd the whole kappa line is 2 ohm, i see many people will be just dropping these in with there factory radios without any thought of impedance loads. anyway i would like to know if it will work ok before i test it out. thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 96
i really dont think it will work, however the best bet is to either look in the manual to see if the HU can handle a two ohm load or call the manufacture to ask them as well. This way you'll know for sure, but like I said i dont think it is possible.

I think maybe one of the reasons Infinity did this is so that people will hopefully buy their amps when they buy their speakers...who knows?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us