Need help with amp choosing

Username: Abudabu134

Post Number: 2
bought sony xplods, 12" 1300 watt. can someone help me on which amp is powerful enough

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1318
do you know the RMS wattage rating on the subs?
and how much are you looking to spend?

Post Number: 4
yes i bought 2 and each is 380rms. and the thing is i did buy an amp it is a sony xplod also the 1200 watt max.

Post Number: 5
but i dont know if its powerful enough can you tell me how i would know if it is?

Post Number: 6
rms is rated power right?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1321
no, RMS is continuous power, in other words, TRUE power.

if your amp says 1200watts, and it only has 2 25 amp fuses in it, it is closer to only doing 500watts RMS.

now i need the RMS rating on your sony amp.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1322
the general rule of thumb is for every 100 watts of power an amp produces, it pulls 10 amps of current.

and it is a little less for Class D amps, b/c they are more efficient at producing power than Class A/B amps.

so if you have 3 60 amp fuses in the side of your amp, that means it can pull up to roughly 180 amps of current, which would be roughly 1800 watts RMS.

Post Number: 7
200W x 2 RMS into 4 ohms
500W x 1 RMS into 4 ohm

Post Number: 8
is that amp too weak, too powerful, or just right to power those two subs?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1324
what are the Voice Coil configurations on your sub Dual 4 ohm(D4) Dual 2 ohm(D2), Single 4 ohm(only one pair of speaker terminals per sub.)

this will determine how you can hook them up to your amp.

is your amp 2 ohm mono stable?
(example: ---wRMS x 1 @ 2 ohm)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1325
if it only lists the ones you gave me, then it isn't 2 ohm stable.
and the only way you could hook it up to 4ohms to get 500wRMS would be if you had two Dual Voice Coil 4 ohm subs.

in which case each woofer would get 225wRMS.
i personally would get a bigger amp, but as long as you don't turn up the bass boost on your amp and HU, and clip the amp(causing the speakers to get Direct Current instead of Alternate Current which in turn disables the voice coils from properly dissipating heat and melting them) and play them into distortion, you should be fine.:-)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1326
on the other hand, if they are single voice coil 4 ohm, or dual voice coil 2 ohm, then you can't hook them up to your amp at a 4ohm load, then you should consider getting a new, more powerful amp that puts out 700wRMS or a little more, b/c 100 watts to each speaker isn't going to cut it, and you will more than likely clip the amps and blow your subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us