DB amd AMP Raiting

CARAUDIO
Unregistered guest
Now how can a amp put out more DB and is a 300 watt sub 12 inch compared to a 500 watt subb these are both RMS raitings.

Now is DB the ammount of BASS it puts out? And How does that work? Quality i guess?

Cuase im pissed off i got 500RMS subs that put out 88DB and i just saw 300RMS subs that put out 95DB :@

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2903
DB's is how loud it is, but are you talking about what they hit in a comp, or on the specs of the sub?
*confused*

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1304
"Cuase im pissed off i got 500RMS subs that put out 88DB and i just saw 300RMS subs that put out 95DB :@"

the sensitvity rating is how loud the sub is in db with 1 watt of poer measured from 1 meter away(1w/1m) with pink noise i believe.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1305
usually the more sensitive a sub is, the more geared it is towards SQ.:-)

or at least the less watts it takes to reach it Xmax. thus a smaller Xmax.

in most cases.:-)

CARAUDIO
Unregistered guest
SO good or bad thing for my 88DB 500RMS sub compared to a 300RMS 90DB sub?

and thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3714
Sensitivity doesn't meen much when it comes to subs. Don't worry about that rating, it can be measured in different ways so producers can fudge the numbers. It doesn't really matter when your running hundreds of watts anyways.

If your worried about how well a sub plays with a given amount of power, look at the rms ratings, and the sub's effeciency.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3716
BL is the magnetic strength of the sub. A high BL doesn't meen a high efficiency.

Sensitivity can also be called reference efficiency, but don't confuse it with regular efficiency. A higher BL usually meens the sub has a higher relative efficiency, but that doesn't meen it's gonna be that much louder. BL is the flux density (B) in the gap, and the length of the voice coil in the gap.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3717
Muddy, why'd you delete your post? Now I look liek I'm talking to myself...

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1316
sorry, i'll repost, i thought it was a stupid ?. haha, you look crazy lol

"and efficiency being the flux density?(BL)"

CARAUDIO
Unregistered guest
My friend has a 400 Watt AMP pushing a typhoon sub and it makes the hole car shake and its a 10inch and i have 2 12's that do almost the same thing why is that ?

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 58
CA,

Many things affect how your sub 'hits'. The enclosure, ported or not.

Placement of the box in the car. IE, in a hatchback (such as my camaro), placement of the sub in the hatch area will yield more gain than placing it in the rear seat area.

Many other factors affect sub performance. You should be comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1338
partucularly how much RMS is actually making it to the sub. if you have a 75amp alternator, and you have a True 1000wRMS amp, it will need more than your alt can supply, and will not even get the 75 amps, b/c your car uses the majority of your alternator for it's basic functions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us