Airflow System for Amplifiers?

TimberJon
Unregistered guest
I only check two Car Audio forums to look stuff up, and both return nothing on cooling amplifiers, or keeping them cool.

So im going to start one. Im curious.
Im pretty sure theres been threads about this subject somewhere else.. because ive seen examples of cooled amplifiers, but not very strong ones. (except for a truck with phoenix gold amps rising out from the walls of the rear bed of the truck, that was good..)

Ive seen plexiglass enclosures for the amps that have 80mm computer fans bolted along its length, ive even seen 120mm fans. But those dont push a whole lot of air..

So, thinking on the whole cooling thing, and the placement of where my Amps are going to be, and not all, but some, ideas on how to keep em cool.
i have a good sketch, but i lost it. you can probably visualize a system like one im talking about, or similar, it would have to be out of the way and low profile when you open the trunk.

basically id like some kind of airflow on the amplifier in a false floor on the front passenger side. Air from outside is impossible here, so i opted to see if the floor air vent was in a position to be attatched to the side of the false floor somewhere. I still havnt looked, because i wanted to ask if this is a good idea? of course, never run the heater through it.. but i never turn the heater on the floor anyways, and i will integrate a diaphragm that will let me close off the air, if someone else was to drive my car..

for the rear.. i dont know how to get alot of air across the amps except fans, or impeller-type fans. Id like to use impeller style fans to drag cool outside air over the amps, and out the trunk exhaust. I dont want to pull the already hot trunk air over the amps. I could pipe it in from the AC... but i dont want to go through that trouble. Id rather make an air scoop on the exterior of the car that would suck the air in and over the amps, and out another area in the trunk. two inputs and one output would make it flow better? or less? If i custom cut two outputs in the trunk, it would make my job of where to place the air inputs and outputs easier.
put the scoops on some kind of motor system, so they can open and close with the flip of a switch, for when the car is moving. When the car ISNT moving, so no air can be forced into the scoops, have a fan backup, so air can still be drawn from outside, and over the amps.

So far, ive never read anything about cool air over your amps being a bad thing or having negative points. If there are any, id love to hear em.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1767
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/fans.htm

TimberJon
Unregistered guest
nice fans. It pulls air from the false floor space? where does it shoot the air? into the trunk? id like, emphasis on like.. to be able to pull air from outside, and throw it across the amps, with the air flowing out of the trunk at the same time. I have a nice lil hole in my trunk to let the air out, perhaps with a fan or two, but i maybe need to cut another hole on the opposite side of my trunk, and suck cool air up that way? with filters? my trunk gets pretty hot..

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1827
it all depends on your mounting, placement, design..
and pulling air from outside isn't a good idea since that means exposure to the elements, humidity, etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us