Wiring Configuration Advice?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 160
Okay..not even sure this would have much of an effect, but anyone have any advice on the best way to wire this would be?

Would it be better to go..

A.

Optima Red Top
0 gauge
Isolator
0 gauge
Yellow Top
0 gauge
Capacitor
4 gauge
PG 1400 RMS amp
4 gauge
HiFonics 1600 RMS amp
4 gauge
4way 240 RMS amp

or would this be better?

Red top
-0 gauge
Isolator
-0 gauge
Capacitor
-4 gauge
Phoenix gold amp
-4 gauge
Hifonics amp
-4 gauge
Yellow top
4 gauge
-Phoenix Gold amp (has two 4 ga inputs)

Or..

red top
0 gauge
isolator
0 gauge
Yellow top
0 gauge
Dist Block
-4 gauge
HiFonics Amp
-4 gauge
Phoenix Gold amp
-4 gauge
capacitor
-4 gauge
capacitor
-4 gauge
Phoenix Gold Amp
-4 gauge
4way amp

Anyone know if it would even make a difference?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4303
I'd pick the 3rd one cause you have d block in the mix. Makes it much easier for installation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
Was thinking about doing it something like this?

Upload

Any input? Or modifications anyone would make?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4304
Why is the capacitor connected to the battery side? It should be right beside the amp, as close to it as possible.
You also have connection going from d block to PG amp AND one coming from 20F cap.
Haven't you read enough on GlassWolf's posts on 20F and larger capacitors? I'd use 2F cap. 2 of them if you have to and skip 20F.
The way the diagram should be is, d block to cap, cap to amp within 12" or less.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Isaac, the Phoenix gold amp has two inputs, that's why I had an input from the battery, and an input from the capacitor. I'm actually probably going to add a cap I already have to the setup, as well, a 1.2 farad capacitor. (I know the response times of the huge caps isnt as quick).

So input on this revised setup?

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 4328
If the PG is like Orion 2500D (2 power connectors), then why don't you go from d block to 20F cap and from there to the PG amp? Then you can use the 1.2F on Hifonics.
That'll create more even balance on PG.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Isaac, The reason I have the 20 farad capacitor coming straight from the battery, is that it has a 0 gauge input. My 1.2 farad capacitor, however, only has a 4 gauge input...

Also, is it better to use both the terminals on the yellow? running a pair of 0 gauge outs, or would it actually be a better idea, to just use one of the terminals and go to everything from the D block instead of straight from battery?

So..here's the revised setup, once again. :-) It'd be better to do everything from the D-block etc, let me know please.

Upload

Also.. My 20f capacitor, has one more 4 gauge output...would it be better to run a 4 gauge from there, to my 4way amp? Like in this setup..?

Upload

Or, would it be better to link my caps directly together...? Something like this..?

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 4333
Just curious, why are you not using the 20F cap outputs with PG amp? It certainly makes more sense. Last thing you wnat to do is supply uneven power.
Either 2 0 gauge runs from battery or battery to d block, then everything else from there.
Maybe you need to get a better d block. I've seen some that take 0 gauge in and have 0-2 gauge out. That is a better option cause 2 gauge will always accept 4 gauge.
Here is your final option:
1.2F for Hifonics amp.
20F for PG only.
4 channel amp does not need a cap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
Isaac - I am running the 20 farad cap with the PG amp... as well as running power from the Dist block, too. In every diagram the cap is going to the battery, and PG amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Oh... Do you mean run two 4 gauge from the capacitor to the PG amp, Isaac?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4335
Yes, and only use 20F with PG.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
Isaac, so I should eliminate the connection between the Capacitor and the D-block?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4347
On your 2nd last diagram, you have 1.2F going to the Hifonics, that's okay. However, on PG, you have one power from d block and another one from 20F cap. That should be eliminated. The 2 power from 20F cap should both go to PG amp only.
4 channel amp does not need any cap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Ok... So pretty much like this?

Also, during music, wouldnt all the amplifiers need the capitance equally, since it effects the entire electrical system, etc? (Not arguing with your advice on cap placement, as I know that the closer to the amplifier the faster response time, etc.. Just a general question.)

Here goes.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Ok... So pretty much like this?

Also, during music, wouldnt all the amplifiers need the capitance equally, since it effects the entire electrical system, etc? (Not arguing with your advice on cap placement, as I know that the closer to the amplifier the faster response time, etc.. Just a general question.)

Here goes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4356
That is the correct way of utilizing both caps.
The only amps that need cap filtering are the ones powering subs. Power requirements fluctuate with bass notes. The mids and highs use have more consistent current draw.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us