6.5" Components, Where to put?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 239
I want to get components for the fronts in my car. I have stock 5x7 spaces. Is there any way to get 6.5" components in there, or where can I find attachable door panels that allow me to do this? If I get components, I also want to get something good. I really don't want Infinity/Polk, so what else is there? Oh yea, how would the tweeters be mounted? If needed, I can get a picture of my door from the inside, other than that, I'm at a loss, and I don't have the time, tools, materials, or skills most likely to correctly even attempt at the making of a fiberglass panel.

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
Ok...I just checked Crutchfield. It says I can fit 5.25" components in my car. I don't see how, since they are 5x7 spaces...Someone help me PLEASE! According to them I can put them in the front and in the back. But in reality what I would do is just get matching 5x7's for the rear and components to match the 5x7's for the front, let the HU power the rear speakers, and a good 2 channel amp for the components, but none of this is possible if someone can't help me figure out how to put 5.25" components in. And do 5.25" components sound as good as 6.5"?

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1g5RkM039et/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103200&I=142SA68

Would those work for the woofer part of the speaker? 6x8 and 5x7 being the same, those should work right? And then I could just mount the tweeters where everyone does, but they would be protruding, oh well.

question
Unregistered guest
I got a civic n bought to infintiy 6002I now should i put thoes two in the door side or in the back? Im guessing door side since i do have the subs in the back for the thump or i dont konw any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4775
You have to make a baffle (preferably plywood or MDF) to make 5.25" components fit. You could likely fit a 6.5 in there if you did some cutting, whether it's worth it will depend on how far you want to go. 5.25" mids tend to transition to the tweeter a little better, and give better upper midrange performance, but midbass is lacking.

Username: Phergus

Atl, Ga

Post Number: 8
I JUST bought some CDT EF-61's. they have awsome reviews and I cant wait to get em in and hear the magic. http://www.thezeb.com/p-CDT-Audio-EF-61-6-1-2-inch-Component-System-108381.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Jonathan, can I use the baffles Crutchfield sells? Or the ones I found online somewhere. They are like rubber or something.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 43
TY,

I would stick with MDF or plywood. Rubber might have to much flex.

A friend of mine did this with plywood and it worked out nice because you can cut the plywood anyway you want. Gives you more flexibility with the install.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
Well...I'm a simple kind of guy lol, and not that great with tools, and don't have many too many to my name other than a sander, screw driver, jigsaw, and I dunno, a hammer lol. I don't have a table saw or anything like that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Correction!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7VQKwTRSGaZ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=762&I=237XT55&se arch=baffle

Check those, they're foam. Foam isn't air tight, so it should allow air flow and such should it not? Foam's always been the best material along with paper for the design of speakers to promote SQ. So wouldn't it be good for this too?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Those baffles on crutchfield are just to keep your speakers from getting wet or dusty. They arnt for converting from your 5x7 opening to a 5.25 or 6.5 opening.

I think what jonathon was refering to by a baffle is just a piece of wood that has a 6.5 or 5.25 circular cut out where you can mount the driver. Then that wood plate would mount into your door somehow.

The first link you posted is more to what your looking for but 6x8 and 5x7 are different. They might not work depending on your space limitations.

As far as the tool issue goes, You need a drill and a jigsaw :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Yes paper can deliver good SQ mainly from the fact that its light giving the speaker good sensitivity.
The low mass of the paper allows the driver to have better control over the woofer, thus delivering better SQ.

I dont think that foam baffle is gunna do much for you SQ wise becuase its totally independant from the speaker. If anything it might sound dampen the door a bit but nothing compared to what dynamat would do.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4781
Paper gives good results, but it still has multiple edge resonances throughout the frequency range, as does poly. They also aren't inherently strong for the weight, and aren't the best material for clarity, but the warmth satisfies most listeners. Tradeoffs in all cone materials, too many to generalize. Paper cones can be great, and paper cones can suck, just ask the whizzer cone speakers that came in your car from the factory :-). Foam isn't necessarily a better surround material, it is more flexible, but it doesn't damp the driver as well as a butyl rubber would. Another thing dependant on what your goal is.

A foam baffle would be pretty bad. You want the baffle to separate the front wave from the rear to avoid cancellation. If you don't your bass output will lack a LOT. Stick with wood if you can.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4784
Oh, forgot to go more in depth, what I meant above was that baffle should ONLY separate the front from the rear, a foam baffle isn't an enclosure. What they will do is kill your midbass. Sound deadening is #1 for SQ in a door.

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
Maybe...I'll just upgrade to some good Diamond 5x7's instead...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us