DLS, Koda, Rainbow or CDT Components?

Username: Rearden_metal

Post Number: 5
http://www.thezeb.com/p-CDT-Audio-ES-620-6-1-2-inch-Component-System-101102.htm
CDT ES-620

http://www.speedsound.com/caraudio.asp?pg=products&specific=jncqdrdrc
Rainbow Pro-Vanadium 6.5"

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DLS-Iridium-6-2-2-Way-Component-System-6-5_W0QQitemZ5806 197083QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
DLS Iridium 6.2

Koda 6.1s - a friend of a friend is selling new but marking up to $500.

Bronze Member
Username: Justababyboy

Philly, PA

Post Number: 42
I personally would go with the CDT's....I am about to buy the HD version...and I heard them and these things sound amazing...but its just my opinion...you would be better off listening to all of them...its basically about personal likings by ear

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4739
Out of those, it would be the Iridiums or the Rainbows for me. I wouldn't pay $500 for Kodas honestly, the Koda tweeter isn't all that great and for that price you could get the Adire Extremis mid and pair it with some good tweeters like Morels, then custom make a crossover or go active.

In the end I'd probably get the Iridiums, but that's just me. Great midbass output, smooth midrange production, equally smooth and accurate tweeter. It's a good, natural sounding component set.

Post Number: 7
Jonathan,

Am I missing anything you like in the same price range?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4742
Dynaudios & Morels. Don't ask me which ones I like better, I'm still trying to decide between those for my own system :-)

John Galt
Unregistered guest
Jonathan,

Where can I find the Morel's online? Also, why would you choose Morel or Dyn over DLS? Finally, what are your thoughts on a JBL 75.4 to power them?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4748
"Where can I find the Morel's online? Also, why would you choose Morel or Dyn over DLS?"

I wouldn't. I should have clarified, I'm basically torn between Morel, Dyn, and DLS, meant to post that above.

As far as dealers, email Morel (make sure it's Morel Israel) as there is a lot of Morel Israel vs. Morel USA drama going on (basically, they're two different companies now) and you need to get them to tell you who are their authorized online dealers just to make sure.

Do you plan to bridge the 75.4 for the components?

Post Number: 8
Actually I was just reading up on bcae1.com because I will be installing for the first time. I plan to run the components and either a DLS UR10 or IDQ 10 and bridge the second two channels for the sub.

Quick rudimentary question though, if you are wiring two 4 ohm DLS Iridium speakers, does the amp push power at 2 ohms because there are two speakers? Just trying to get the numbers down to make sure I get a powerful enough amp.

I also looked at some of the other brands you named in other topics I have read, the most multi-channel amp selection I could find was Xtant (a few older Zapcos and US Amp) on ebay, and I am assuming a 100x4@4 would do the trick. I am looking for guidance if you have recommendations - SQ is all that matters.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 117

jon what is the diffrence bewteen Iridiums and the rainbow profi v kick bass

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4751
"jon what is the diffrence bewteen Iridiums and the rainbow profi v kick bass"

Very similar component sets in midrange and treble, the kick bass driver is designed to have punchy bass around 80-100hz, but doesn't do as well below that. The DLS midbass plays deeper and is authoritative down low, I've seen them play down to around 50-60hz w/o problems.

Post Number: 9
Actually I was just reading up on bcae1.com because I will be installing for the first time. I plan to run the components and either a DLS UR10 or IDQ 10 and bridge the second two channels for the sub.

Quick rudimentary question though, if you are wiring two 4 ohm DLS Iridium speakers, does the amp push power at 2 ohms because there are two speakers? Just trying to get the numbers down to make sure I get a powerful enough amp.

I also looked at some of the other brands you named in other topics I have read, the most multi-channel amp selection I could find was Xtant (a few older Zapcos and US Amp) on ebay, and I am assuming a 100x4@4 would do the trick. I am looking for guidance if you have recommendations - SQ is all that matters.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
WELL I GUESS I WILL BE GETTING THE DLS

BETWEEN THE DYNAUDIO AND RAINBOW PROFI V KICKBASS OR THE REGULAR PROFI WHATS THE DIFFRENCE IN THOSE

I HAVE TO DO TWO CARS

YOU GONNA HELP ME INSTALL IT?
I TALKED TO A ELECTRICIAN AT LOWES OF 5 YEARS HIS GROUND BURNT HIS FLOOR ON FIRE

IM SCARED

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4755
The DLS, and Rainbow Kickbass drivers have a punchier bass, more attack to them.

Dynaudios are more mellow, what you call a "dry" midbass, light on the attack, but very musical and deep.

As far as the midrange performance, DLS has a darker, richer characteristic to it. Dynaudio has a more neutral, sweeter sound to it, still on the warm and rich side, but a bit lighter and more detailed. Rainbows are somewhat in the middle of these.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
so if i get the rainbows and DLS wich amps would wokr best for the drivers

I have the ppi A 404 100X4
and the Eclipse pa 5422
I was thinking Rainbow to PPI

and DLS to Eclipse

no rear stage

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1157
JON!!!

i got to hold(actually touch with my own hands and look with my own eyes) a 3-way set of the Rainbow Reference's(the 10k pair). the owner of my local audioshop(Audionutz) was sponsored by Rainbow, and they shipped him a set of them for free. i must say that i was breathless for the entire 20 minutes, yes 20 minutes i looked at them. thay are so sweeeeeet! he will be putting them in his Honda Civic, and competing with them in the near future.:-O

i thought it was really cool that i was talking to you about expensive speakers, and i actually got to hold the ones you mentioned. i didn't get to hear them b/c they were busy getting ready for Nopi in ATL GA, but the build quality of these components IS UNSURPASSED.

anyway, i figured i would tell you(and anybody else who reads this), b/c you were the first person i thought of when he mentioned the rainbows.:-O

sorry to cut into your thread Hank.:-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4758
You're not worthy :-) I bet even your hands felt good after that. Just too bad it's going in a Honda Civic, speakers are probably worth more than the car is :p

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1166
i went home that night and thought of them until i fell asleep. lol

if the building caught fire, and the ceiling was dripping fire(i don't know if that is possible), i would run into the building to save those speakers! lol

when they get back from Nopi this monday, i will try to get some pics of them and myself(for the non-believers) and for my own personal enjoyment......lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us