Post Number: 46
Right now this is my set-up:

Pioneer DEH-P3700MP 22x4WRMS Head Unit
Pioneer TS-A1671R 6.5" 3-way speakers
Pioneer TS-A6961R 6x9 3-way speakers
MTX 801D 500WRMS @ 12.5V 800 WRMS @ 14.4V
Alpine SWR-1042D 10" Type R Sub

Several concerns:
First off...I like my sub but it seems to be very responsive in just a small range of frequencies, and anything outside that it doesn't do too well on. I'm not sure exact frequencies or anything...-I've tried messing with my amp's crossover and it doesn't really help all that much.

For example: I like the way most bass drums sound with this sub, but bass guitars are barely audible (not just from the sub but from the overall sound). Are bass guitars more in the mid-bass range? If they are then my mid-bass is seriously lacking. Also, when I really turn the sub up really loud using my (awesome) sub volume knob it just kind of turns into a loud mushy sound. Would a better sub get much better definition? Or does that mean it's just trying to reproduce too many frequencies and I need some better mid-bass drivers?

Would I be better off getting a 12" Type R to get a deeper, fuller sound? Or would I be better off getting a more expensive sub like a JL or JBL or something? If I should upgrade should I go with 10" or 12" ? I listen to rock/metal/a little pop/some rap and I like tight bass (if that helps).

Second, I think perhaps I shouldn't have jumped on such a low price for the interior speakers cause they don't sound all that great, but it could be that I'm just in serious need of an amp for them. I would like to try an amp, but will an amp actually make them sound any better than my current HU? For the price I don't think these speakers can be beat (about $100 shipped from eBay total for both), but are there any better speakers in particular that anyone can recommend that won't break the ol' piggy bank?

I guess most of all the problem is I don't know what I want haha...

Well, I do know I want crystal clear highs that aren't harsh, punchy mids, and thumpy bass. There that's simple enough isn't it? :D

Comments from knowledgeable folks would be very much appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 556
Well if u had the $ & like to keep the HU - i'd say change out EVERYTHING else - lol

1st try buying a really good 4 channel amp then u can change out the speakers if u still don't like them .

Sub box - is it sealed or ported , if ported then the port tuning could be off .

What would be the budget if u'd like to change out any specific piece of equipment ?????

Bronze Member
Username: Homsardude

Post Number: 47
Sub box is sealed. Could it be that Q Logic isn't up to par? :-)

I don't have a set budget exactly, so I want to get some recommendations before I decide what I want to do.

I don't want to go top of the line, but now that I have learned a little about what I don't like I'd like to replace things one by one as I can afford, with quality stuff.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Add and/or replace I mean.

What about the MTX amp for the sub? I thought it was a fairly decent amp for the price? Also, the head unit seems fine to me as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Kurczak323

Lindenhurst, Il

Post Number: 19
how are those pioneer 6.5 and 6x9 doing?? are they good for the prize??

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 559
Some of those prefab boxes are made with 1/2" mdf when the standard is 3/4 , could also be box volume is not correct too .

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 130
thats strange that your sub doesn't sound good b/c it is really a decent sub. bass guitars should definately show up on your subs like 95% of the time unless they are either playing really high or if they are playing slap bass on the guitar that would probably come up on the regular speakers like the actual slapping of the strings. If you did go w/ a Jl sub it definately will not sound bad or have any trouble w/ any frequency it has been my experience w/ jl subs that they are extremely accurate and produce any and all frequencies.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I messed a little with eq-ing and stuff and actually got it sounding much better, but I think there's still a ways to go.

For the money I don't think you could find anything better than the Pioneer 6.5s and 6x9s that I have, also I think they actually sounded better with my stock HU than with my Pioneer HU...why that is I'm not sure.

I messed with the positioning of the sub in my trunk and I actually seem to notice an improvement in SQ (it seems to be a fuller sound, not as focused on that small freq range as I mentioned before)...am I crazy or is this totally possible?

The box isn't the smallest Q Logic that I've seen. At Best Buy (please no flaming for going to Best Buy :P) they have this tiny one that I didn't get cause it seemed questionable volume-wise. I stuffed my box with polyfill and I believe the volume is 1 ft^3.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3683
I don't know the enclosure recommendations for the Type R's, but 1 cf seems a little small. It may be perfect, I can't remember.

If your lacking on lower bass extension, you can make your box somewhat larger. Just be careful with the power, a larger box is more effecient, and doesn't require as much. It's easy to bottom out a sub if you throw it in a large box and run the max recommended rms wattage to it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
<---- New to car audio (or audio at all for that matter)...what do you mean by bottom out? Like it gets really low and muddy and sounds bad?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 577
Bottom out is like when the sub is driven so hard the voice coil goes in so much it can hit the magnet plate & damage the VC .

I think generally speaking ,sub boxes sound better when the front of the box is facing the car's tail gate .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Oooh...I don't want to get a bigger enclosure then because I'd hate to bottom out my sub :-)

Yes, I turned the enclosure to face directly toward the rear and noticed a much better sound.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us