Jeep Wrangler 4x6 or 5.25

Username: Skyedog

Post Number: 2
Here is my situation. I have a 97 TJ and I want to make an upgrade to the audio system. With the top down and all the road noise I have to turn the stereo up loud just to be able to hear it...but when i do it is distorted.

The front speakers are 4x6s and the sound bar are 5.25s.

i have found a bracket that will convert the 4x6 to 5.25. Should I do this? Are 5.25 speakers better than 4x6?

How can I find out what 5.25 speakers will fit in the front?

For the sound bar I am currently looking at either
Infinity Kappa 52.7i at 2 ohms
or
Polk MMC525 at 4 ohms

I have a Kenwood 50x4Watt HU. I have read that head unit wattage is greatly overstated. Do I have to get an amp to stop the distortion? or is that because i currently have factory speakers?

I was planning to add an Inkinity Basslink 10" Sub+amp because of its small size. There really isn't any good spot for a big bass unit and an amp.

i know this is a lot of questions....as you can tell i'm pretty clueless...your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Username: Rearden_metal

Post Number: 6
Hey Dan

I have converted Infinity Kappa 5.25s in the front of my Wrangler powered with a 45x4 Pioneer HU and Sony Xplod (from the previous seller - they are beyond terrible) in the sound bar.

To be totally honest, the 5.25s in the front do make a difference, but to really make an impact to SQ you should get rid of the sound bar and forget the 5.25s in the front.

Instead, ask around at local stereo shops and see how much they will charge to make fiberglass kick panels to hold 6.5 components. The best I could find in town is $350 for both sides.

I know that is a heavy investment to get started, but I promise it will make the sound light years better than today - although the 5.25s in the front and putting 6.5s in the sound bar now can be a lot cheaper and more immediate solution.

Also consider that whatever you put in, you should look at a good 2 or 4 channel amp to power whatever you put in.

Finally - look up 33 engineering, they make a sub box that will hold a 10" in the bottom of your rear seat - I can't speak for whether the basslink is good or not. You should be able to mount both amps under each of the seats as long you measure before buying. Try searching Infinity Basslink on the forums to see if there are any comments made on them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us