One JL 12W7 vs two Alpine 12'' type R's

teeg
Unregistered guest
i know the alpines would be alot cheaper but i was wondering which is going to be louder (slp) and what else would u reconmend if i was to purchase stricly off ebay

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 137
if you bulid a good box and give it the proper power the w7 will get louder then the 2 type r's.

Eugenics
Unregistered guest
but wouldnt the type-rs be louder since they got more surface area combined? Plus the '05 ones are 500RMS..

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 359
Get the specs on each one. You may be able to get a rough idea.

Check:

S/N ratio= the higher the better (every 10 dB it is twice as loud)

Resistance= Ohms the lower the louder (it is easier for the amp to push higher amounts of watts into a lower resistance load, if the amp is stable down low). Resistance doubles by halving.

Bl = the higher the better (this determines how much force the motor has)

Pe = wattage handling (twice the volume is multiples of 10, not doubled)

The first most is S/N ratio, then Bl, then watts. Next, take into consideration that both systems will be housed in its own optimum enclosure.

When you are comparing JL Audio and Alpine type R speakers;

You must take into consideration, that the JL is rated at 86 dB. I couldn't find the specs on Alpines type R's, but they would need to be 80 dBs each, in order for them to be at even volume (taking in consideration that the rest of the specs are the same for both)

You must determine the S/N ratio in order to continue further. This is your biggest factor when it comes to volume (loudness).

The next three specs that I mentioned are determining factors as well, but they are not as huge as S/N ratio.

To make a long story longer; I highly doubt that the JL Audio 12w7 is louder than two Alpine type R's.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 158
Hmm. I might be wrong here, but....

I think several things are wrong with the above post.

First off, S/N ratio is important, yes.. But over a certain point, it dosnt matter at all. I've seen 12" duals with a S/N of 96+, and they certainly are not twice as loud as a W7.

Next, the ohm load, dosnt make it louder. It more dictates what type of amplifier you need. 400 watts at 4 ohms, is actually better, than 400 watts at 2 ohms. (for clarity reasons). But it will be the same power. Also - if you're bridging your 400 watt amp to a 2 ohm load, kiss your amplifier goodbye, or at least, be prepared to have it shutdown frequently.

A rating of 80 dB, by the way, on a subwoofer...would be horrible. (I'm positive the type R's have a higher S/N).

It's really hard to actually tell, on paper, which sub will perform better real world, especially with SQ.. But even SPL this holds very true.

Seth

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2882
Yup, its almost impossible to tell, but I have a feeling that it would be pretty close.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 361
I stated just a few things that one may look into, as a refference to determine what might be louder. My advice was not concrete as I stated that

"Get the specs on each one. You may be able to get a ROUGH IDEA."

I did not say resistance determines loudness. I said

"Resistance= Ohms the lower the louder (it is easier for the amp to push higher amounts of watts into a lower resistance load, if the amp is stable down low). Resistance doubles by halving."

S/N ratios are usually measured at 1 Khz. So if you want a true perfect read, you would need to take your individual woofers and test them yourself, as you may be aware that specs are almost always random and rounded off, and more often than not, inflated. You would need to look at the frequency response graph on each one and compare SPL levels at the subharmonic frequencies, as they are definetly different from the raw driver specs, and compared to them being in an enclosure.

My advice was intended as a ROUGH IDEA, instead of a concrete evidence that someone may even try and use in a court of law..........lol

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 651
why are you guys using Signal-to-noise ratios for subwoofers? that is an amplifier spec...and overated spec at that. efficiency is what you guys are talking about. Subwoofers efficiency determine how well the power is used based on 1 watt at 1 meter. if it is high, a higher xmax is much harder to achieve, but will move better will lower amounts of power...if it is low, xmax is easier to achieve, but requires more power to move it. and but requires less power to move it sufficiently......read up on it at http://www.bcae1.com/ ....essentially the highest efficiency possible would yield 0 xmax.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 362
you are right, I should have said efficiency. i make mistakes you know............lol

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 84
well i think it would be close....it kinda depends on the install and power fed to em....i can spout numbers from my car all day long but that doesn't prove much.....i can tell you tho that if done right it would be close enough not to be able to hear a difference.....people always think my 1 12 is 2 12's. but i can say after hearing those type r's recently they will do pretty good for ya if you want to save yourself some cash....only thing is they don't hit as low due to excursion. but then again there is the XXX sub that can be had for cheaper as well!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us