Ok, this is going to take someone smart......

Username: Kevbo887

Post Number: 8
Alright, figured out my problem why one sub wasnt getting anything, causing my amp to go into protection mode.

K, so on speakers or subs ect....the metal connectors. The problem lies in there. You know the wire that connects the metal connectors to the inside of the speaker/sub? That actually allows the power to be transfered from your wire from your sub box, to the metal connectors on the speaker/sub, to the actual sub, well that is extremely loose on one side. On all other speakers/subs that wire is EXTREMELY tight and wont move much unless you actually push on it. Well, one this one side, the thing is extremely lose and has a bit of slack to it. (Picture it like this, a guitar string = nice n tight, mine loose connection = fishing line.) Now, just looking at it quickly it seems like its coming from the top, near the metal connectors, and not from the inside of the sub. Now how do I fix this, cuz these subs are really nice. I was contemplating snipping the wire and re-soldering it, but Im not sure what kind of wire is used for that. Or, I was just going to unsolder the wire from the connector, and resolder it.

I know it sounds stupid, but if I connect the speaker wire to that metal wire coming from the connector to the sub (splice it and tape it up blah blah or even solder it) would that work? Any thoughts or ideas, much appreciated, thank all!

Post Number: 9
Just trying to keep it up on top , thanks.

Post Number: 10
Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 237
it sounds like your tinsel lead is comming off what some people do is take the tinsel lead from another sub and solder that on to that sub....so just try to see were you can solder it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Alright cool. Ill give that a shot, im going to investigate further today into the sub now that I have a tiny bit of free time, thanks! Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10227
terminals and tinsel leads.. proper terms. :-)

where is the lead loose? at the cone or at the terminal?
if its at the terminal, solder it.
if it's at the cone, glue it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Actually now that I look at it, its both that seem pretty loose. More so to the cone, but the top of the wire near the terminal is a little frayed looking. Simple glue and soldering should fix this?

Also, before I try anything, if I hook the speaker wire up to the tinsel lead, will that cause me to get a connection just to see if thats the main problem? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 271
Hey, Kevin.
Careful what you do, because I have the same problem (well, except mine tore). Anyway, I tried soldering my tinsel lead back together with another piece of tinsel lead. And, it works, but it slaps the cone if you end up with a big old wad of solder... and glasswolf is right. Eventually, it gets hot (if you're actually ENJOYING your sub) then it turns to liquid... blah, blah, you catch my drift. So, if possible -
DO NOT CUT YOUR TINSEL LEAD!!!
I repeat:
DO NOT CUT YOUR TINSEL LEAD!!!
it's pretty hard to repair. I've tried more than a dozen times and my sub is pretty much shot now.
Solder to terminal only, and glue it to cone.
Not any glue will do. Right now i'm trying to find out what the glue is called. I'll let you know when i do.
Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Gotcha....Ill give it my best go!

For some reason I was thinking maybe the tinsel was broken inbetween the terminal and the cone, but it cant be if its still connected, unless theres ones peice of wiring inside the tinsel lead thats holding it? Not really sure if tinsel lead is like the threading of speaker wire though, where theres a whole group of tiny wires? Hmm....Ill attempt to give it a go and hope for the best of luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Alright, did the soldering and the gluing....did it correctly too. No go, thing gets no power or anything whatsoever. Im thinking it could maybe be inside the cone? Not sure though. I highly doubt it would have anythign to do with the connector terminals though, as they are just plain metal correct? Hmmmmm such a shame.

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 54
You sure you weren't clipping the sub?

Because, if you did the gluing right and the soldering right, it is possible you cooked the voice coil, which would mean the woofer is finished.

I had a kappa perfect a few years back that I cooked; back when I first started getting into this whole car audio thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
What do you mean by clipping?

The subs were working perfectly fine and I was extremely happy with them. On my way home one day it just made a fizzy distorted noise for a second or two, started working fine again, then just stopped because my amp went into protection mode. Dunno?

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 55
Clipping is when you cause your amplifier to send a distorted signal to your woofer.

It can happen for any number of reasons. Perhaps you had your gains set wrong, or your bass boost was up too high. There are many ways to cause your amps to clip.

The end result is always the same however, your subwoofer takes damage and eventually stops working.

Also, on a side note, is it possible that perhaps your amp is not working properly? Have you tested it to see if it is putting anything out? Only reason I ask is because you said something about a distorted noise, and then the amp went in to protection mode; it could be your amp.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 274
Well, I cooked a sub once...
and I tore tinsel leads once...

When i tore the tinsel leads... the amp DID NOT go into protection mode. It just stopped playing.
No burnt smell, simply no more sound.

When I cooked the sub... the amp DID go into protection mode. As a matter of fact, I burnt all 3 30 amp fuses. After replacing them, the sub didn't work. I took it to an audio place for fear my amp was ruined - but no, the amp was good. The guy told me to pull the sub out of the box and check it out. So I did... and as soon as I broke the seal I could smell it! It was fried. Since then, I've taken it apart COMPLETELY and I think I've learned alot about the anatomy of a sub.

So, I hope my experience can help you distinguish your problem.
Also, try pushing down on the cone gently and see if it moves down in a liniar way or if it feels like the voice coils are "off". Kinda hard to explain, but I'm sure you catch my drift.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Going to have to go out on a limb and say the sub is gone haha. I know its not the amp cuz I checked out all of that stuff, just that one sub. Maybe I by accidently hit the bass knob up to high when I thought I was going for volume, I guess that could do it to yah!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us