Jon or Glass, a little help with my imaging...

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3670
I'm gonna start glassin the kick panels for my Re components on sunday, and I'll probably have enough time that day to start aligning my speakers before I finish.

I have a couple lasers to use so I can get the general direction, then from there I'll use my ears of course.

As for the lasers though, in what area should I be aiming, and should I aim the midbass and the tweeters in slightly different directions, or always the same?

I've read a little on it, and I think I remember aiming for the opposite window, about ear level, about a foot away from the dash, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4736
Honestly, I don't even bother with a laser. Go ahead and build the baffle for the woofer, put some plumbers tape on the back, and fasten it to the floor. Wrap the back with a towel or similar, and just start positioning. Use your ears, and of course, it's nice to have a friend helping you out during this. I get the mids first, as they are the most important, and after that I position the tweeters. Usually the midbass and tweeter will do best on a similar axis, some people just build a flat baffle and flush mount the tweeters that way, and position both simultaneously.

Most people that do use a laser start by aiming both speakers toward the dome light of the car, but usually you'll end up in a different position than that anyway, that's why I don't bother.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10225
if you want to use a laser alignment, point all of the speakers right at the driver's head position.
on axis is always ideal unless you're dealing with reflection issues or blockage from the car's interior stuff.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3674
I'm gonna have a flat baffel and flush mount the teeters, and if I need to adjust them a little they swivel to a certain point. I guess I'll just scrap the lasers and do it all by ear. I can eye it and get them at least pointing in the general direction.

expressiveaudio
Unregistered guest
I use a very unsophisticated method for getting the initial aim. I don't like lasers as I can't see the beam. I don't want to aim a dot. I use a round baffle that fits in the speaker mounting ring. In the center of this round piece of mdf I have a small hole drilled. It has a wooden dowel sticking out of it that is about 4 feet long. This way I can see exactly what the path of travel is. I've used this method for years. If you make a couple of them you can stick one on each side and see where the paths cross. It's cheap, easy, and works quite well. I have a couple of different size round plates cut out depending on the size speaker I use. I've used the same technique for door mounted speakers and rear fill in some cases as well. It's easy. This method is only used to get you close though. You still need to listen to a speaker mounted in this position to make sure it is correct. Sometimes yu'll get it right on with the first shot and others will require something totally different that you didn't see coming. Sound is funny that way. My starting aims are anywhere between aiming at the opposite passengers head to the dome light. This assumes you have the space to do it. Then I just tweak from there.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3697
I don't have a ton of space to work with in my car, and I have a feeling the passengers side is gonna be blocked by my center council when I aim them. If something is in the way like that, should I am so that I'm bouncing off the opposite window, or something different? If I angle them enough I'll miss the council, but it might be at a strange angle.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3701
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us