Changing alternator wires from 8ga to 4ga?

Username: Ridz420

Post Number: 1
Well, I don't even have my system in yet, just my head unit. When ever I have my head unit turned up decently loud it dims a little bit (noticable when it's dark out). Now, my question is, I will be running a Audiobahn 1600watt A8002T amp, and a Image Dynamic 2500 watt custom Competition 15" sub. Will changing my 8ga wires to 4ga eliminate this problem? Do I absolutley NEED to change the wires, if I don't will I fry my Alternator? ...By the way, I have a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire 2 door. If I DO need to change the wiring on my Alternator, would this wiring work? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wLAaEQWKpgi/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=211P04G01B

Thanks.

Also, hit me up on AIM if needed- BrIdZ69

Post Number: 3
Can someone please help me on this fairly fast?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10174
just for clarification, the A8002T amplifier is only 200 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms. 800 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged.
It isn't 1600 watts.

for 800 watts, you'll need a minimum of 4AWG from battery to ground, battery to amplifier, and amplifier to ground.
If you use smaller wire than that, you'll starve the amp for current, which causes clipping. This in turn destroys both the amplifier and the speakers connected to it.
In addition to this, you'll be drawing too much current through the smaller wire, causing the heat built by this to melt the insulation on that power line, possibly causing a car fire.

look at www.knukonceptz.com for a good 4AWG kit with good interconnects for a decent price.

as for the head unit, you may want to run a dedicated 10AWG line from the battery to the head unit's constant 12 volt line (memory/non-switched power) so the ehad unit won't lack for current as well, to stop the dimming.

if you want more info on charging system upgrades though, see these links:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/
http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.htm

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10177
wow you're impatient!

Post Number: 5
So basiclly if I use a 4AWG kit, I won't need a capacitor, and I won't fry my alternator with my subs? (As refering to 1600 watts, thats the maximum output, not RMS, but yes, you are correct).

Post Number: 6
Sorry about being impatient, it's just my amp will be here soon and I want to get my system going. I looked on knukonceptz and can't find a 4AWG kit... maybe I'm just retarded.

Post Number: 7
EDIT:
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=eKo-K4

Will this take care of ALL my needs? Also, does this come with some type of instructions on how to install, or should I have my brother (whos a mechanic) install them?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10180
yeah don't bother with peak ratings.. they're meaningless.
the first link I supplied explains capacitors.. the second does alternators.

basically the amplifier is what's going to draw all the current, and every car is different, so try it first and see.
if the voltage drops below 12VDC, then you need to consider upgrading the alternator and/or battery.
otherwise you're probably ok. capacitors only help as a smoothing filter and to decrease response delay.. don't do anything for lack of current though.

Post Number: 8
Glass, I just recently bought a new battery, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just wanna know before I go spending money, if the kit above will take care of my issues. I don't know much about system electronics... I don't have the money to go buy a new alternator, so I'm looking for a cheap, effective, solution.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10184
yes your impatience is causing the issue.. lol
you posted both of those in the time it took me to respond to the first post.. you're posting at a 3:1 ratio, and if you read any of the links I gave ya, you'd answer your own questions.
rushing is never wise in this business. It gets you into trouble buying junk and regretting it, or blowing things up because you were in a hurry.
I've been an installer professionally for 15 years. I know.

that kit is exactly what you need. s for installing.. I'd suggest a professional do it, but lacking that, at least get your brother's help.. a mechanic should at least know how to route some power line, and use a fuse holder etc..
you can find an install primer on www.bcae1.com for some basic help.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10187
by the way I'm not trying to be eman.. I'm just saying step back and take a breath. I know you're excited about getting everything in and going, but a little bit of patience and effort pay off in the end.
Like it's said, you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it over again when it fails.

Post Number: 9
Alright, so if i buy this will it include wiring for everything I need? Like wiring from my batter to amp? Will i need other wires for my amp to my subs?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10206
you'll have it all.
power, ground, remote trigger, and RCA interconnects, along with a fuse and holder, and all of the crimp connectors you need to do the job.
all you'll need are the proper hand tools for the install.
hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc..

Post Number: 10
Alright. Anyways, What subs do you suggest to go with my A8002T? At the moment when I fix this I'll be using a Custom - Image Dynamic 15" Competition 2500watt. It doesn't matter the price of the subs, I just want more bump for my buck. So whats the loudest I can go with that amp? Also, with the subs you suggest, what type of box do you suggest? Thanks.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10210
hmm with 800 watts?
If you want to unload that ID sub and switch to something else, look at the RE SX subs.. (not nearly enough power for an MT) and if you want SPL over SQ, I'd say consider using an aeroport enclosure or going 6th order bandpass if you want a load of SPL with no regard for SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 266
Glass as far as 1600W, that's the max rating on that amp, so that's where he was getting that number. (Having that mono amp I would know lol) Oh well...You may just need a new alt or something. My car comes with stock 130A, and it got smoked yesterday. Well it was either a 105A-130A, when in reality, for an 800W RMS amp, and Audiobahn at that, this shouldn't have happened. I still think it's one of the big 3 wires may have fried.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10470
I know he was using max ratings.. and they're meaningless.
the amp is 800 watts. period.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us