Eclipse Aluminum? Jake Hill!

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 194
Ok, well anyone can answer, but I thought I'd ask Jake since he has (can afford lol) the Ti's. Are the Alums. any good? Do they get loud and sound good at high levels? I believe at one time you told me to buy Eclipse...I can't afford Ti's, but will the Alums. get the job done?

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 402
Alums are awesome. Here's a link for a decent deal. The 8 seres is better than current offerings 8122.4 or 8122DVC

http://www.electronicgiant.net/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=111&pro ducts_id=1159&osCsid=6460db191f599e10e3f70eb487003162

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
That deal is awesome! The cheapest I found on Ebay was like $170!

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 778
Aluminums get pretty damn loud too. Not as loud as Ti's, but pretty close.

Silver Member

Post Number: 781
They'd be my next choice after the Ti's. I have a friend that replaced his Pyramid's (VERY decent for the price/brand, got decently loud with decent SQ). He runs 400wrms to it, ported box tuned to 32Hz and it's super clean and hits pretty hard for one sub. Most people think he's got two 12s, but when they see his one, they about crap themselves. If you're going for cheap, but good, go with a 6123 (I believe that's what it is). Rated at 250wrms, but I had one and gave it about 400-500wrms, and it kept up fine. Just make sure when you build the box, give it plenty of room to breath, and give them time to break in, and you'll be pleased. I'll look at my prices on the aluminums and see what I can sell one to you for.

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
Ah, I'm looking to get 2 12's and put them in my sealed box, so I don't think I'll be getting the 6123's, although I did see them, and they look very nice. I get 800W RMS out of my amp, so 400W RMS to each sub, that's only 50W RMS than the sub's RMS rating, so that's not really too shabby.

Silver Member

Post Number: 787
Yea. Eclipse's subs aren't very picky on the power. You can feed them very little and get good results. But more IS better :D.

The cheapest I can get the SW8122DVC to you for is $250+ shipping, but it comes with full warranty.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 213
Jake! My brother just got a 6123 DVC and a viper amp rated at 300rms @ 2 ohms... well I decided to build him a ported enclosure for it. The question is... what do you think I should tune it to, 32, 35?

Silver Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 214
Oh and what should the volume be about 2 cu ft? thanks...

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
Jake, I think I'm going to get the Eclipse SW7124DVC-T4. It's more in my price range/power range as well. Also, are these subs accurate/have good SQ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Err, nevermind, Jake lol. At the upper part of this post, MazdaMan had a link to the 8 series Eclipse, and they're $150 bucks each, nothing personal, but that's an outstanding deal...Not to mention I've dealt with Electronic Giant before, and I've always gotten great service from them, not saying yours wouldn't be, but $150...is SUPER! It may only be a 90 Day warranty, but if something doesn't go wrong with them in three months, I'm sure they'll be A.OK! Can't believe though that the 8 series on www.woofersetc.com costs $290, just for the extra 50W RMS. Especially when we go by the $1/1W!

Silver Member

Post Number: 791
Lol. No problem man. I sell very little because of my pricing, but many people want a warranty, so they'll pay the extra :P.

Matt: with that sub, I'd go with about 2.5cu/ft tuned to 35Hz. It'll sound shweet :D. When I had mine, it was just for a cheap system for my work car. I threw it into a prefabbed 2.28cu/ft box tuned to 35Hz and put a Pyramid 1,000 watt amp on it. I know, Pyramid, it was more like 300watts, but it was loud enough you couldn't see straight :D. Just be certain you give it about 6" behind the magnet so it can vent the magnet good. When you give 'em the watts, they need that vent to have some open air behind 'em. My Ti's have about 12" and I can pump about 2,000 watts a peice and they barely get warm to the touch.

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 56
Tyler, sorry to cut into your thread man, I apologize, but I just wanted to ask Jake a quick question...

I have an Eclipse Ti. Its going in a slot ported box with a net volume of 3.5 cubic feet, and its tuned to 32 hertz.

I have an amp that puts out 600 watts RMS.

My question is, is this going to be enough to even move this beast? I got it in last week and was amazed at how well built it is, but christ, is 600 watts going to be enough to motivate to play?

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Hrmmm...with my sealed box...we're looking at about 5" MAX behind the magnet lol, not to mention box insulation, but isn't box insulation supposed to actually give more efficiency in a sealed enclosure?

Silver Member

Post Number: 796
KigDeezie: is it a REAL 600wrms @ 2ohms? If it is, then that baby will hit like you won't believe. Make sure that box is STRONG. I'll have to show some pics of my boxes so you can see what I mean... And 32Hz is awesome with the Ti's. They'll have good extension, and get real loud. Mine are currently 35Hz 3cu/ft, but I have two I'm building that are a lot nicer and stronger. 32Hz 4cu/ft.

Tyler: And that should be enough in sealed. You won't be able to give it as much power for as long, it'll overheat much faster sealed. How many cubes is that box? You want 1-2.5. (I found that 1.25cu/ft is the shweet spot :P).

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 57
Well, how will I know if it is real 600 watts? The paper it came with says its 600 watts@2 OHMS.

Its a Phoenix Gold amp. Do they have a habit of overestimating their amps?

My box is really strong. I ordered it from woodlawn cabinetry. Its 1 inch MDF and has braces on each side to maintain the integrity of the box.

Silver Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 221
Jake... Just wondering, are you sure a ported box tuned to 35hz would be good? The Qts is .78 so wouldn't it be ideal for a sealed enclousure?

Silver Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 226
BumP^

Silver Member

Post Number: 828
Sorry... I work during the day, and I sometimes miss posts...

Pheonix Gold is medium to low end amp in my opinion. They DO tend to overrate. If it says 600wrms, it's probably relatively close to that. But if it says peak, then it's probably about half that. But I've heard an Eclipse Ti run with a "600watt" Legacy amp, and honest to god, it got pretty damn loud.

And yea, 35Hz is fine, that what Eclipse recommends, but I think 32Hz is a much better tuning frequency. Just make sure you make the port big enough to push air, or it'll produce a hollow sound.

The Ti took a little over 2 years to design. They designed it to be flexible. It can be for SPL or for SQ easily by changing the enclosure. I've seen them in all sorts of enclosures, and they sound great in all of them. The sub was produced to also be built strong, and provide years of pounding when taken care of, or abused. They also have the ability to change the voice coil out, so as long as you take care of the surround and the cone, you can give it all the power you want, and have a relatively cheap fix just by swapping VCs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us