I was wondering

Username: Nimfoz

Post Number: 1
What exactly would go wrong if I hooked up 2 ohms to a 4 ohm stable amp? Will it possibly fry my amp if I do this? or will it just shut off once in a while? I'm asking because I'm an idiot, I'm broke, and I'm planning on pushing my luck with some wiring...lol

so some answers on what might happen would be appreciated, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1099
you will burn up the amp.:-O

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1100
what brand of amp is it? and what are it specs?
RMS ratings only please.:-)

Post Number: 2
Not so sure as to the brand of the amp (the labeling is pretty much missing)

But I know its like 600 watts...so lets figure 300 watts rms. 4 ohms as I mentioned. That's all I know.

but will this like slowly burn up my amp over time or will it just all of a sudden shut off and never work again? lol

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1104
if you are running an amp a 2ohms, that is only 4 ohms stable(would have to be a cheap one) you will burn it up. i'm not sure how long it would take, but i'm sure after a few songs with a lot of bass, at very high volumes it wouldn't have many hours left on this earth. lol

i also think that it might not even have to be played at loud volumes to fry it. b/c it will still be operating below the safe level of impedance.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1105
"i'm not sure how long it would take, but i'm sure after a few songs with a lot of bass, at very high volumes it wouldn't have many hours left on this earth. lol"

or minutes at that.:-(

Post Number: 3
Oh

this shatters my soul

:-(

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 519
Muddy is a 'soul shatterer' - ha ha ....lol

Doing crazy stuff like that will clip the life outta the speakers ,then amp & quite possibly some melted wires & a fire in your car too !

Soul Shatterer
Unregistered guest
DOOM TO YOUR CHEAP AMP!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10144
you'll be trying to draw twice the current through the amp that it's capable of.
you'll blow fuses, or the amp will go into thermal protection.
if neither of thsoe two safeguards work or are in place, you'll fry the amplifier in a matter of seconds most likely burning up the power supply and output stage.. along with blowing the coils of your subs thanks to massive clipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us