Installation help

Username: Rodney05

Post Number: 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just purchased equipment and the dealer told me that I could run 8 10's off of a 1800watt Kenwood amp. The amp says it is 1ohm stable. Will this be possible? I have everything hooked up and only the left 2 subs are coming on and they sound very distorted. I have everything hooked up parallel. When I called the dealer back to find out what I am doing wrong he told me to bridge the amp in mono to run all 8 subs. Is he right and if so how do I do this? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1586
It really shouldn't be done. Wiring everything in parallel is going to leave you with a resistance of .25 ohms or less depending on individual voice coil resistance and whether they are DVC or SVC subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Xxcodytxx1

Post Number: 30
JESUS YOU ARE RUNNING 8 SUBS OFF A MONO AMP. You must be going for spl, Because your definately not gonna get the slightest bit of SQ not to mention the ridiculous THD on the amp

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 183
Ummm...especially off of a Kenwood amp, rule of thumb, only buy Kenwood HU's lol. Anyways, Jexx is right, if those are say 4 ohm DVC subs...well lets see...You're running the risk of getting an impedance of the widely loathed mathematical "i" or imaginary numbers! In other words, don't do it. If that amp is 1800W RMS, which I doubt, that would be like 225W RMS per sub, at 1 ohm. If you go lower than that, sure, you'll get extra power, with the cost of killing the amp, and possibly the subs. Trust me, I did it once with a receiver when I was testing my car subs at home...turns out Sherwood no longer makes anything with an impedance level lower than 8 ohms...DAMN YOU MASS MARKETING GARBAGE!

Bronze Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 25
and why do u need 8 10"s thats way to much space and money unless its a competition car ... if u want alot of bass just get a RE 18" MT that would cost alot less then 8 10"s and take up alot less space

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
What kinda cash did you drop in the enclosure any way? Or are they just sitting in your trunk?
I also know a guy that has 8 zapco symblink amps and thats at 18,000 watts, he only has 5 subs and some good kickpods around the vehicle, this is a show car to...... Moral of the story dont run 8 10" xplods off a kenwood amp. Lol dont run 1 Xplod period, better yet dont run a kenwood amp, MAYBE get one of there higher end HU's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
What kinda cash did you drop in the enclosure any way? Or are they just sitting in your trunk?
I also know a guy that has 8 zapco symblink amps and thats at 18,000 watts, he only has 5 subs and some good kickpods around the vehicle, this is a show car to...... Moral of the story dont run 8 10" xplods off a kenwood amp. Lol dont run 1 Xplod period, better yet dont run a kenwood amp, MAYBE get one of there higher end HU's

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 192
When did he say they were 8 10" Xplods lol? Kenwood's HU's are good from the model of KDC-X589 and up! Anything below is entry level and will get the job done, but not as well as the $250+ models!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us