Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3627
What kinda wood is it, and how thick is it?

How thick are your plexiglass windows?

It looks perty, but if the wood and windows are thin it'll suck. I can't tell though, it could be 2 inches thick for all I know.

Looks good though!

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 280
windows are a little thin but sound quality is excellent. its made from 3/4 inch maple and walnut trim. Its more for asthetic value but i am real happy with the sound quality

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 225
yea as long as that wood is thick your good your box looks nice although i cant help but think of it as a cabinet(a cool cabinet though :-))

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3628
I saw the same thread in the sub section. Are the windows really Lexan? How much did that cost you???

You also said it's made outta maple plywood? I'm suprised the plywood offers enough dampening and doesn't resonate like crazy. If it sounds good though..., it sure does look nice.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 226
and if your still running those Alpines off that JBL 600.1 amp you should consider getting another of the same amp or a JBl 1200.1 or Kicker KX1200 or something like that because you might be amazed by how much a sub can change when its powered correctly

Silver Member

New York

Post Number: 283
no i use a us acoustics usx1000d 1300rms

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 502
Looks sweet - ? is ,would the sound quality been better if it was made out of MDF ? - & u could still laminate with real wood over that mdf to get the look .

But overal - i really do admire the craftsmanship & time that went into it , an heirloom to pass unto ya grandkids ...lol
Upload

Silver Member

New York

Post Number: 285
plywood provides almost as much dampening as MDF you probly couldent tell the difference i think

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3630
Actaully I can hear the difference, I've been around buys with plywood boxes. It doesn't have the dampening and strength that MDF has, that's why we use MDF. As long as it sounds good to you though, it doesn't matter what other people think. If you make another and still want plywood, I'd use 1".

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10093
needs a nice dark stain applied.
that lexan needs to be at least 3/4" thick looking at the placement of it as well, or it's going to flex like mad.

otherwise looks very nice.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 509
a quick general question - can't the same thickness of glass be used in place of plexi/lexan ???

Glass or laminated glas might be cheaper but can it take the stress/vibrations ????

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10101
if it's tempered it might, but that's not very safe in a car.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 513
thinking it - if the car gets in a accident its possible fragments of glass would be flying about .

Silver Member

New York

Post Number: 290
yeah the peice of lexon in he back has a little flex to it but its not to bad. However my roof and rear window flex alot. I felt it was worth the loss in structure for the astetic value,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us