Amp Help

Moey
Unregistered guest
Ok, heres the deal...
I have a kicker kx400.1 running 2 x 600w 12" pioneer subs. i also hav kenwood 7x10s running off a 200w MTX amp. The thing is, i had 8-gauge wiring to the kicker amp, but i recently changed the 8-gauge wiring kit into a 4 gauge kit. SInce then, the amp goes into protection mode at a lower volume then wen i had the 8 gauge wiring. Is this because the battery is not powerful enough, or could there be another problem? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10051
a: because the amp is finally getting the current it needs, so it puts out more power at lower volumes.. thus it shuts off faster.
b: your gain is probably set too high due to having a weak amplifier. 400 watts total isn't enough for two 12" subs.
you need a 1200 watt amp for those two subs, not a 400 watt amp.
you're probably compensating for lack of pwoer by turning the gain up too high, then the amp clips, and goes into protection mode.
good way to blow up the subs and teh amp.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10052
PS, the lack of current before was caused by the 8AWG wire being too small to handle the draw required by those two amplifiers.
in case that wasn't clear.
8AWG is good for a peak of 100A, which decreases as the length of wire increases.
at 15 feet, you're closer to a max of a single 100 watt amplifier.

Moey
Unregistered guest
Thanx for your input, but ive found the problem, the power wire at the fuse was loose and because it was only touching slightly, it was still working but at times of heavy bass, there wasnt enough current flow through that area, thus causing the amp 2 shut down.
It works fine now. Sorry i 4got 2 mention, the Subs are 600 watts (Max) and the amp is 400WattsRMS. Therefore it is enough and ive neva been happier with the sound quality im getting out of them.

Username: Elusiv

Stockbridge, Ga USA

Post Number: 1
I need to know the best way to hook up my soundstorm 1600 watt amp. i'm trying to push two visonik 10" woofers,two visonik 6*9",two visonik 6.5", and visonik tweeters, with a clarion stereo.What is the best way to hook all this up, to get the best sound?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10095
Moey, 8AWG still isn't large enough to run the length of the car for 400 watts RMS. period.

Moey
Unregistered guest
I was talking about the 4-gauge...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us