Pioneer Premier DEH-P860 owners only

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2145
Just was curious as to what you all have your 860's hpf and lpf set at and what you have your custom eq set like.

I have my HPF crossover at 100hz at a 12db slope.

Have my LPF crossover set at 100hz at a 12db slope also since i listen to mostly rap it gives a good response in my suv.

I have my eq set to custom

50hz +1
80hz +1

and so on... What are you guys doing with yours..let me know what works best for you guys. I have my sub level at 0

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 884
my HPF is set at 100hz/12db oct
my LPF is set at 80hz/18db oct

my eq is set to Natural,which works perfectly.:-)

i have my sub level at zero, and in reverse phase. i also have the BMX(Bit Media Expander) on b/c i listen to a lot of mp3's(which i already know are bad.)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2146
Thats cool Muddywaters, what type of music do you listen to ? I listen to mostly hiphop/rap and some electronic and rock.

What do the rest of the 860 owners have your settings at ?

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 166
Highs @ 100 12db, Lows @ 80 12db.
Auto EQ is on with eq set flat. Car shot-in with mic.

This is the only hu I've ever owned that I did not need to adjust anything! It just sounds right with the hu auto eq.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2148
I havent done the Auto EQ yet but im curiuos to try it out soon. I wonder how much of a differance it will make.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 929
i listen to mostly hiphop/rap, a little rock now and then, and sometimes stuff like Bass Mekanik:-)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2149
Thats like me muddy. I listen to all of that and i have that new Bass Mekanik album RELOAD and that has all the bass you need !!!

I set mine to natural but the low end wasnt as good so i just adjusted the 50hz back to 0 or +1 and it hits much better. On natural the mids sound so clean and tight so thanks for the tip. I have the sublevel set to 0 and i have my time alignment seat option to the front 2 position. I have a SUV by the way. Im running a Avalanche 15 in the back and i have the LPF at 12db slope and i find this slope better for Bass Heavy songs like RAP and BASS mekanik. 12db slope/80hz or 100hz works best. HPF is set at a 12db slope /100hz is best here. Next i may play with the Auto EQ and also get the XM tuner.

Does the I Pod adapter get hooked up to the back of the unit also ?

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 930
i think so, but i don't have an ipod so i'm not sure.

i have always wanted to try that Auto EQ microphone deal, but when i have the time, i am never thinking about it. lol

i have my position time-alignment off, b/c when i turn it to the front 2 seats, or the driver seat, it seems like i lose volume, but i am becoming more and more particular about my sound as time goes on, so i will more than likely turn it on the 2 front seats or do the Auto EQ and see how that sounds.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 614
The ipod adapter gets hooked up to the IP Bus connector, also needs 12V and ground and of course, an IPOD

Silver Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 101
hooking up the ipod adapter is too easy. it has it's plastic connector that only fits in one spot on the back of the deck, so you can't go wrong. then you've got the power (which i hooked up to the remote torn on with my amps) then the ground. as far as a review, well, hmmmm. i've got a 20 gb with about 25 songs on it, lol. so i haven't had much of a problem browsing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
sorry, hooked the ipod adapter with the deck power not remote turn on power.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2150
sounds good guys. Muddy i havent had time to do the Auto Eq yet either. Does anyone know long it takes till the Auto Eq test is over ?

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 952
i whipped out my....manual lol
and it says "auto TA and EQ is completed in about 6 minutes.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 953
i just got back from Auto TA and EQ'ing my HU, and WOW!!! what a difference. i have a soundstage now! before it sounded really good, now everything in the songs i listen to sounds even more particular, and it sounds like they are singing it right in front of my face.:-)

i had to adjust my subwoofer settings, the HU put it to -22 and i put it back to 0 and it was too much, b/c i had upped some of my lower octave bands.

when you do it and it finishes, it will still show you having a Flat EQ(b/c it switches to Flat EQ to do the test), but if you go into the Audio menu, and go almost all the way to the end of the features, is shows "Auto EQ" on and you can switch it on and off.

so if you would rather have your HU say Custom 1 or Natural(whatever you care for) put it to that and then go into the menu and turn auto eq on and it will replace the preset eq with the auto eq, but will still display the preset EQ on the track menu.

the time alignment feature is really nice, it put the voices right in front of me. when i went into the menu and switched the position selector to front left it put the voice in front of me but it wasn't precise. after the Auto TA it put the voice right in front of me and was very strong. it shows all of the speaker settings in the TA 2 menu in inches.

i am very impressed with the results of the Auto EQ and TA, and will probably take it to my audioshop and ask the owner(who originally tuned it, but w/o using the TA positioner) how he thinks it sounds.:-)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 954
i had to adjust my subwoofer settings, the HU put it to -22 and i put it back to 0 and it was too much, b/c IT(the HU) had upped some of my lower octave bands.

i would have left them how they were, but after it tuned it it sounded even fuller, but the sub was REALLY "getting down" so i turned it up a little.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2153
Thats really good to hear. I will try it out and make a post also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
i have the deh-p8mp (i know yoiu said the 860 guys only, lol, but i couldn't resist). was wondering if i could also use the auto ta and eq'ing thing. would be great if i could do it cause i have very little idea of what i'm doing when adjusting. just going off of some of the posts in here.....thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Dam Muddy! You must be a bass Sl*t? -22, that means your gain on your sub amp is way high!

I used the Auto EQ/TA to adjust my amp gains. I kept adjusting them until the Auto stuff came out with a prefect level.

Its real cool stuff Pioneer has done! Its so far ahead of my last Alpine. Althou I think the Alpine had a little better build quality.
But Pioneer has them all beat with the DSP technology.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 983
NO, I'M NOT A SL*T!!! lol :-)

When i had the amp intsalled, the sub was gained at 0. and after it got done EQ'ing, it had it at -22, and you couln't hardly hear the bass. when i am listening to rock, or something that i need some SQ with(less thump) i turn it down to -7 and it sounds fantastic.

i read in the manual that you are supposed to to the LPF on your amp to your sub OFF. and on the built in LPF(i guess the one on the HU, doesn't say) you are supposed to set it to the highest octave(200hz). i did neither of these, so that is why it did that, i think lol:-)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 984
i read in the manual that you are supposed to turn the LPF on your amp to your sub OFF. and on the built in LPF(i guess the one on the HU, doesn't say) you are supposed to set it to the highest octave(200hz). i did neither of these, so that is why it did that, i think lol

This is EXACTLY what my 8600 manual says:

-When this unit is connected to a power amp with input level control, auto TA and EQ may not be possible if you lower power amp input level. Set the amp's input level to the standard position.

-When this unit is connected to a power amp with an LPF, turn off the LPF on the power amp before carrying out auto TA and EQ. In addition, the cut-off frequency for built-in LPF of an active subwoofer should be set to the highest frequency.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Manual? Whats that? I think I got one of those but there were no pictures, so I thru it out!

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 182
I got one of these (Pioneer Premier DEH-P860 ) and at least for me the auto EQ thing did not make things better. Kind of surprised that some of you liked the settings it picked but of course it has to do with the particular vehicle and the kind of music you listen to.
I listen to mostly 80's metal if that has anything to do with it. The only thing I ended up doing was to activate the BBE and that was about it, it sounds best for me this way.

Just a couple of questions for comparison since there are several of you out there with the same head unit.........this was kind of strange but what would happen is when I first had the unit installed it would flash back and forth from a white background to black, about 7 seconds or so apart, no matter if I had it on the regular display or custom, pics, entertainment, whatever. Even when it was OFF but I just had the clock display on, it did this. I reset the thing a few times and this did not make any difference, but eventually it just went away, strange. The only thing I could think of was that maybe they had the headlight dimmer switch hooked up and it was freaking the unit out but I checked this and it is not hooked up nor turned on within the head unit. Oh well, this one is no biggie since it went away.

Oh by the way I got the unit online so there is really no warranty so luckily it is working ok now.

Second question is, I have Sirius radio with the Pioneer tuner set up for it, although it still says XM on the unit of course.

Anyone else using this head unit with Sirius? I am kind of disappointed because there is no scrolling of the station, artist, etc you have to pick artist, song, station or catagory and that is ALL you see on the 860.

I guess I will keep this unit for now as I like the color screen, 6.5 preouts etc but it's display does not hold all the info I had hoped for.

If other owners of this unit or newer Pioneer units would share their experience here it would be appreciated

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1016
"it would flash back and forth from a white background to black, about 7 seconds or so apart, no matter if I had it on the regular display or custom, pics, entertainment, whatever. Even when it was OFF but I just had the clock display on, it did this. I reset the thing a few times and this did not make any difference, but eventually it just went away, strange. The only thing I could think of was that maybe they had the headlight dimmer switch hooked up and it was freaking the unit out but I checked this and it is not hooked up nor turned on within the head unit."

turn off the HU and press and hold the big button. it should bring you into a menu of features like clock, dimmer, brightness, demo, and Reverse Mode. if it is activated, then it will do what you are describing. simply turn it off. it is a feature just for looks, but some people find it annoying.:-O

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1017
*turn off the HU and press and hold the button on the right, the one you use to change tracks.* sorry
i was thinking of the 8MP.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
hey MudyyWaters, i have the 8mp and was wondering if that ta eq'ing is available with this unit also........thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 185
MuddyWaters thanks for the advice !!!! I had already fixed by accident but if this is a built in feature then shame on them, not a good thing! and not in the manual either........

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1024
kevin, no the 8MP does not have the Auto TA and EQ feature.
2076_4041%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/comparison/res ults/0,,2076_4041,00.html (if the link doesn't work go to their website and click on their CD players and then click on compare.) www.pioneerelectronics.com

tafkam, i knew that b/c the guy that installed it at my audioshop, had one in his car already, so he showed me everything that it could do. it is kinda funny b/c i turned that reverse mode on cuz i think it's cool, and you couldn't stand it. lol:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us