Headunit Problem

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 529
I have a JVC HU, Ford Ranger 2003.
I noticed when I turn my truck on and turn up the volume, there's not that much in the way of highs in my speakers. I, just by chance, noticed that when I go into built-in EQing on my HU (low, mid, high) and I go to the high leveling (which is at +5) and change it to +6 then back to +5, there is a large boost in highs as if it reset itself or something. I used common sense and figured it would do this with the others too (low, mid) but it doesn't. No boost or change when I change the others up or down and then back. This only happens with the highs. Does this mean my HU is just going down hill or is this a common problem? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1545
That seems like a typical JVC...though you never know, maybe the IC that controls the EQ needs to be replaced.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 530
So basically it's junk and my next one should be a better HU? Haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1552
Heh, maybe, but what is the model number on it?

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 531
It's a KD-G700.

Bronze Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 11
Try an Panasonic mid line....5401, 7401 nice radios and relatively inexpensive.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10114
and relatively unreliable. panasonic makes nice looking units, but they just don't hold up that well

Bronze Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 17
Glass, I think all these companies have some sort of problems, I have used them and sold them with very little problems, I know in my rodeo, I have a terrible skipping problem with pioneer, not as much with panasonic. I guess it all comes to looks and gadgets that sell these units.Oh yeah, Price.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10133
the skipping may be helped by using backstrap to support the rear of the deck.. somehting not often done on installs for sake of time, but worth doing if you have issues with skipping.

granted these days, a lot of head units are throw-aways considering the price and amount of features they pack into them.. I miss the old days of elegant simplicty in head units like the old alpine 7905 and 7903 styles.
Probably why I use one of the only simple head units still made for pure SQ.
a CDA-7990

grease
Unregistered guest
Is the CDA-7990 the F1 status line?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1601
Yeah, the CDA-7990 is an F1 status headunit...

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10186
yessir.
AM/FM/CD, burr brown k-grade DACs and digital filters, optical outputs, all top shelf components. it's a work of art.
It's like the Mark Levinson pre-amp of the car audio world. :-)

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 532
I was thinking of going for one of the Eclipse HUs after this one craps. Now and then (usually when it's cold out), when I hit the mode button to go into the EQing, it changes from CD to FM or vice versa. The motorized face isn't real happy either. Makes a lot of noise, also when it's cold out, when you eject a CD (brings the face all the way down) or change the tilt on it.

grease
Unregistered guest
Glasswolf, im on the look out for a nice F1 status with processor, but at £1000 used, bit too much for me, I want to hear one too, I have heard the Sony XES, Clarion DRX 9255 (which i tihnk is the best i have heard), got a Denon DCT R1 on the way too.

Mark Levinson, you like audiophile sound huh?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10221
sure do.. when it's built and engineered well.. and Levinson's gear always is.
same reason I use a krell amp and martin logan electrostatics at home for music, and KEF references for the home theater.
makes my ears happy

grease
Unregistered guest
You seem to know your stuff, im on the look out for a high end home system (what do you recommend for £4500?), in my opinion its not worth spending too much on the cars. I have done so already! Everytime i find a unit i like, something goes wrong....

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10247
what do you want for the home system? HT? purely for audio? do you need the television etc, or just the speakers and receiver? need an idea of what you're looking for, room size, etc..

Username: Goingnowhere09

Post Number: 9
dude all you need is to reroute your central breaker and give me your credit card number with experation date/conformation number found on the back in the gray square...

grease
Unregistered guest
What do i want? I like a crisp, detailed sound. No TV, just pure audiophile sound. Room sizes I don't know to be honest!

The pioneer unit is going to go i think, the display is playing up...

Bronze Member
Username: Goingnowhere09

Post Number: 11
dude go alpine if your getting rid of pioneer...i started out with a pioneer and now im going alpine, i'm actuallly buying mydeck tommorrow...

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10287
he's talking about home audio, not car audio.

grease
Unregistered guest
Glasswolf got any suggestions i can try out at a store?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10302
listen to some electrostatic panels if you can find good ones. I like MartinLogan, but Magnepan and Quad make some nice ones as well I believe.
They should be in your range, even with money left for a receiver..
only drawback is that you'll want a good class AB amp to drive them.. they've very demanding loads for an amplifier, as far as speakers go.
If you want something cheaper, look for used KEF Reference 104/2 or 105/3 matched pairs of mains. Lovely speakers.. some of the best made in their range.. which was about $3400-3600/pr US new.
made in Maidstone, England, from about 85 to 91

grease
Unregistered guest
Ok thanks for that, I have a good store near me, theres a nice Levinson amp on ebay i might look into...

Do you know muich about pioneer headunits, i think my one might of developed a problem. I got too many units, everytime i fight one i like it something happens, what do you think of the Sony XES?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10321
not a fan of sony.
pioneer premier is good.

grease
Unregistered guest
yeah it is, but mine is playing up, its going on ebay now as we speak, i just got hold of a nakamichi CD 35z, i had the CD 250 before, and liked it a lot, I just want something simple, easy to install (!!) and good...

Isn't the XES supposed to be like, super high end? with burr brown D/A converters?

Anonymous

GlassWolf,

In one of your threads, you mention the Alpine 7905. A friend of mine just gave me an Alpine 7905 Tuner/CD player that's in great shape. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the wiring harness. I've checked with Alpine to see if they had one, but the best they could do was provide me with a service manual. Any idea on where I can find a wiring harness for the 7905?

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Marines

Post Number: 41
http://www.installer.com/wires/index.html i dont know how many pins you have but all you can do is look

team426f
Unregistered guest
I have a 7905 with the harness. Someone else just asked if I still had it. If they don't want it I would be more than happy to sell it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us