Need help building a 6-speaker system for '99 Mazda Protege...

Username: Jcdevotee

Fresno, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I just bought a '99 Mazda Protege ES. It has a nice Pioneer DEH-P550MP head unit, but I'm considering replacing it with a unit that has Cassette, CD, and an Front AUX Input for my laptop/PDA (any recommendations for such a Head Unit would be much appreciated). It has 4 factory speakers installed (2 in the front door panels, 2 behind the headrests in the back seats). However, it also has precut/vented spots for speakers in the rear door panels. The speaker sizes are as follows:

Front Door Panels: 6"x8"
Rear Door Panels: 5 1/4"
Rear Seats: 6"x9"

I'm looking for the best way to incorporate a six-speaker system, with the possibility of adding a subwoofer later on. I'm planning on having this car for a long time (3-5 years), so I'm willing to plunk some cash into this system. What is the best combination of Amps, Speakers, and Subs to create the best sound? This is the initial idea I had:

Front: 6"x8" 3- or 4-way or component speakers (for best highs/overall sound while driving)
Rear Door: 5 1/4" 3-way speakers (again, best overall sound)
Rear Seats: 6"x9" 2- or 3-way speakers (with more emphasis on low frequency sounds)
Subs: ?
Amps: ?

Also, what is the best order to replace/add components for this system? I can't afford to do them all at once (buying the car kind of cleaned me out), but I'll probably spend at least $1500 over just the next 6-12 months on this system (and maybe more after that), so I want to get my money's worth.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have a lot of audio experience with live sound reproduction and reinforcement, but I'm a relative newbie at Car Audio. Like I said, I want the best sound, and since I have 6 speaker slots available, I figure I can put in a pretty killer system. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1691
3 years is a long time? Christ, my Jeep is 10 years old, and I'm still not planning on replacing it in the near future.
My other car is 38 years old, and still runs better than most modern cars *laugh*

ok, here's what I'd do.
new head unit (I'd go CD/MP3 player myself. screw tapes.)
6.5" separates in front doors.
6x9" in back
4 channel amp for the mids/highs
mono sub amp
2 12" subs in the trunk
use a good head unit like an Alpine and you can get the EQ, Crossover, etc all built into the head unit with 3 sets of pre-outs.

that'd be all you need with the exception of wiring, and possibly upgrading the electrical system in the car to handle the additional current drain.

Fresno, CA USA

Post Number: 2
What about the back door panels? Also, if I can fit 6"x8"s in the front doors, would you recommend it?

P.S. What are some specific makes/models of speakers, amps, etc. that would be good for this system? I'm looking around, but I really don't know anything about brand names.

Also, assuming I will be putting in a sub (or two), what speakers would you recommend for the front/rear/back (2-way, 3-way, component, etc).

Thanks again for all of your help!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1709
don't need the back door speakers if you have them in the back deck.

6x8 suck. use 6.5" separates.

Infinity Kappa or CDT Classics for front and rear
two-way separates in front, two-way 6x9 in back
two 12" Adire Shiva 12" subs in the trunk in a ported box tuned to 34Hz.
power them with a Kicker 02KX1200.1 amp.
Kicker KX600.4 for fronts/rears if you want a 4 channel amp for them as well.
Alpine CDA-9815 head unit.

Fresno, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Ok, thanks! Especially with the amp models. As far as speakers go, just go with the most expensive I can afford, right?

Also, what are "separates?" Is that the same as component speakers? And if I'm only getting 2-way speakers, are there any particular models that have better high-end response (almost like a built-in crossover)?

Speaking of crossovers, will I need any EQs, Crossovers, or other misc. accessories to make this system perform?

Thanks again for all of your help!

P.S. Sorry to keep pushing the issue, but is there ANY reason to EVER consider using six speakers? Would speakers in the rear door panels help at all?

JH
Unregistered guest
You only REALLY need a pair of components in the front. Adding another pair of speakers in the back will be nice for your passengers, but it's not necessary.

Personally, I run a pair of components in the front, and nothing else (besides a sub). It provides better imaging and gives you a 'concert' feel, as opposed to a 'surround sound' feel.

If you're interested in sound purity, you can ditch the 4 rear speakers alltogether. Invest the money you would spend on the rears on a killer set of components and a nice amp to power them.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1732
"Also, what are "separates?" Is that the same as component speakers? And if I'm only getting 2-way speakers, are there any particular models that have better high-end response (almost like a built-in crossover)?"

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1
that's the model you want for the fronts. crutchfield.com has them listed with pictures. you can see how they look there. those are separates/components. you'll get the idea when you see them. the midrange and tweeter are separate for better imaging.

"Speaking of crossovers, will I need any EQs, Crossovers, or other misc. accessories to make this system perform?"
if you go with the CDA-9815 it has EQ and crossover built into the CD/MP3 player. you'll be all set.
all you'll need is the proper amp wiring kit, which would be 4AWG, and $30 at knukonceptz.com

"P.S. Sorry to keep pushing the issue, but is there ANY reason to EVER consider using six speakers? Would speakers in the rear door panels help at all?"

no reason at all. in the case of your factory system, front speakers were mids/highs for front seats, back doors were mids/highs for back seats, and rear deck are "woofers" for low end extension.
In this new layout, your 6x0s will act as rear seat mids/highs and midbass response, and your 12" subs will be for the low end extension.
the Kappa 6.1 set are actually 4 speakers, so if ya want to get technical, your new system will be an 8 speaker system, but 6 "channels" of amplified power, counting front L/R, rear L/R, and subs x2

Fresno, CA USA

Post Number: 4
Ok. Sounds good.

One alternate question.

I routinely carry around a LOT of stuff in my trunk. As a result, space is a premium.

Is there any practical way to incorporate the subs into the back deck? i.e.,

Front doors: Infinity Kappa 6.1 Components
Rear doors: Infinity Kappa 6x9" 2-ways
(I'd have to custom fit these, as the doors only support 5 1/4s currently)
Rear deck: 2 10" or 12" inch subwoofers
(fit where the existing 6x9"s are right now)

All of these would be powered by the amps you already suggested.

How would this sound? I'd really like to save as much trunk space as possible. Also, if I did this, are there some good 8" or 10" subs for this type of a setup? Even if they don't sound as good, that would probably be ok. I don't want pounding bass, necessarily. I do want SMOOTH, RICH bass. I'm not one of those people that likes to drive down the road blasting Rap music. I would like to listen to SOME rap, rock, and classical and be able to slightly feel the bass, and at least hear it smoothly.

Thanks again for all of your help. You're a God-send!

Fresno, CA USA

Post Number: 5
P.S. If I did use such a setup, what would you recommend the 6x9s to be (model numbers, please)? I'm wanting to go with infinity's all around...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1773
Infinity Kappa 6x9 two-ways. I don't have the current models handy but easily found on crutchfield.com

if you really need to avoid a sub box in the trunk *sigh* you can go with a baffle board with free-air subs against the rear seats..
it won't sound nearly as good though. no way to do a good setup using the rear deck for subs, no.
if you really need the room, I'd just say use a sub box in the trunk that's custom fit to the car, and uses terminals with spring clips for easy removal when you need the added room.
cargo, no subs.. no cargo, subs.
that's what I do with my Jeep when I need the extra room.. I yank the subs.
Another option is skipping good subs and using a single 10" bass tube from bazooka as your bass solution.
takes little room, and can be easily removed on short notice and tossed in teh garage or back seat.

Fresno, CA USA

Post Number: 6
Ok. Thanks again.

Is Bazooka the best solution for a bass tube? And is 10" the best/biggest size to get? Would it pay to go bigger (12"-15" tubes) or with 2 bass tubes? What would one of these run me? Should I plan on powering it with the same Kicker 02KX1200.1 amp, or is there another option? I thought that tubes sometimes have their own built-in amp.

What I might do is just put the bass tube in as a temporary solution, and the go with a custom sub box later, especially if I could use the same amp.

Also, if i have to replace/build this system one piece at a time (with a new upgrade every 1-2 months), what order should I do it in? Here's what I was thinking:

1. 6 1/2" components
2. 6x9" 2-ways
3. Bass tube?
4. Kicker KX600.4 (for the satellites)
5. Sub box/Sub amp
6. New head unit

I put the head unit last because my current Pioneer DEH-P550MP has 3 pre-outs w/sub control and High/Low crossovers.

Any suggestions?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1795
yeah bazooka is pretty much the best of the tube subs.
10" is the largest one I usually see, and one should do the trick.
they run around $300 I think, it's been a while since I checked.

you can get a self-amplified tube, or a non-amp'ed model with an external amp. if you go with an external amp, I think the KX600.1 is plenty.. the tube is usually 4 Ohms, and that'd mean 300wRMS for it.
if this is a temp solution, get the amp'ed tube.

go:
head unit (if yours doesn't offer 4 speaker powered outputs too)
new front speakers
new rear speakers
4 channel amp
sub amp
subs & box

either way should be fine.

Fresno, CA USA

Post Number: 7
Ok. Thanks again.

I'm definately set on using the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's for the front. What about the rear? Are there ANY better speakers than Infinity for the 6x9s? It seems like infinity is almost the best in every aspect. What about JLs? Do they make any 6x9s? Here's what I found in the same/higher price range:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=predcx690c&store=&catid=360
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=nakspc692&store=&catid=360
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=inf6925i&store=&catid=360
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=eclsp8992&store=&catid=360
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=400&I=1...
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=400&I=1...

Thanks again for putting up with all of my questions. Hopefully this will help everyone else who's looking at the best speaker models.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1818
well in back the 6x9s are for midbass and rear-fill so the Kappa two-ways are ideal. Also you don't want them too bright, or overpowering.
Rear fill shouldn't be noticed from the front really, and as such, you want them to match the front speakers so tehy blend well.
thus, I suggested Infinity all the way around for mids/highs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us