Problems with Alpine CDA-9847 HU

Username: Nelle

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone...

Ok so here's my situation:

Bought an Alpine CDA-9847 HU back in June.... Tried to install it in an Integra and got it to power up and function properly, but no sound in any channels. Figured it was something wrong with the wiring in the car, so I packed it up and put it away for later.

August rolls around, and I decided to put it in my Montero. Ended up having to rewire ALL 8 speakers because there was a preamp and I didn't want to bypass for the amp and sub.... So I did that, finished everything, put the the deck in, and BAM - Same problem!! I don't know what the problem is here, but I just cannot get sound.

So I take it back to Best Buy to try to exchange it, but of course Best Buy SUCKS and they wouldn't exchange it because it was past the 30 day window... that sucks... So I paid $15 to send it to Alpine last week, telling them the problem and all that.... Just got it back tonight, and the service slip said:

Repairs: "Audio, No Sound (all channels)"

Service Action: "No trouble found"

GRRR!!!!!

So I haven't tried putting it back in yet, but any suggestions of what it could be? Anything would really help cuz I'm pretty bummed out about this!!!

Thanks!!

Bronze Member
Username: Shamuchef

Post Number: 65
have someone who knows what they are doing install it.

Post Number: 3
Thanks that was a really helpful answer. What a waste of time.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1508

quote:

Ended up having to rewire ALL 8 speakers

Without an internal amplifier, that unit's internal amplifier cannot handle more than four speakers (unless you happen to be referring to the number of wires the four speakers utilize).

How did you verify the wiring bypass was correct? Did you test each speaker individually? You might want to do that from where the wiring harness hooks up to the unit.

Are you using an aftermarket wiring harness adaptor that fits onto your factory harness clip?

Post Number: 4
No, there are door speakers, tweeters and dash speakers all in the front; and two speakers in the very back.... There is only wiring for six speakers in the HU, so the door and back speakers are wired together for now.

Each speaker works fine on the other HU that I am currently using. I have had the exact same problem with this HU on a completely different car as well.... Power but no sound.

Yes, I have the adaptor for my factory harness already. I'm going to try it later on and double check everything, but if anyone has suggestions about where I could've gone wrong, it would help a lot. Obviously it was something that I did wrong, because if the HU was defective, it would've had the same problem when Alpine's service dept. checked it out. I just can't think of what I would've done wrong twice, and not been able to figure out.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518

quote:

so the door and back speakers are wired together for now

That sounds like your problem. Not a good idea to wire speakers together like that.

Post Number: 5
I understand that's not the greatest thing to do with speakers, but that's how they are temporarily, and they work fine with a different HU.

That wouldn't be the problem, because the same thing happened when I tried to install that HU in a different car.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1522
Yes, I read that. The way you have them, they're pulling an ohm load too low for the headunit to handle, maybe you ruined the output IC. Right now, i'm going with a wiring problem.

Post Number: 6
Maybe the output IC is ruined, but it wouldn't have been from the speaker setup, because I installed the HU into a completely different car originally.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 320
Make sure your antannae is hooked up. Some stereos will not perform till you have the antannae hooked up to the deck. The antannae also acts as a grounding source and/or common for speaker wiring.

Is the "MUTE" button on????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Number: 7
Hey hey!!! You hit something there!

I have a power antenna on my car. There are two antenna plugs coming from my car that were originally plugged into my stock deck. One is the regular-sized antenna plug, which fits in the back of the Alpine HU, and the additional one has the same shape but it's much smaller, and there is no place for it to plug into on the HU. Don't know exactly what that does and if it needs to be plugged in to make my antenna go up and down.

My antenna doesn't work in the temp HU I have in now, either. It also lacks a second outlet for the smaller antenna plug.... Could this be the problem possibly?

I was just told that the other car (Acura Integra) that I tried to install the Alpine HU in the first time, USED to have a power antenna, but apparently Acuras dont have the second smaller plug for power antenna. Maybe the power antenna is the cause of this problem in both cars..... This is very interesting....

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 323
I have experienced problems with power, and no sound before, due to multi-function grounding and/or common wiring.

The antannae or power antannae circuit may serve as a ground or common to your speaker wiring.

Check to see if your CD player works and perhaps it may play sound. If the CD player has sound, then your antannae circuitry needs to be completed. Check arround at oldie but goodie electronic stores in your neighborhood to see if you can find an adapter for the weird antannae plug to your new Alpine HU.

This happens all the time. It is not a freak thing at all.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us