Amp blowin subs

Username: Nick_tuttle

Post Number: 2
I bought a amp and it didnt work i finally got it working and it would push my subs great and then my subs started smoking and i think something went wrong because smoke rolled outta my ports in the box. i dont know what i should do... it happends to 3 of my subs i dont dare to try any more. lemme know if you have any solutions the amp is a vortex 1500 watt amp

Bronze Member
Username: Dobaryder

Cocoa, Florida U.s.

Post Number: 21
what kinda subs & box and if needed lower your gain till ya get it right so ya dont smoke anymore subs

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 642
yeh more info needed... where where yor gains set at? and which subs with what voice coil configs.. btw is that 1500 watt peak or rms rating for the amp

Silver Member
Username: Pikesh

Post Number: 123
check the gain..... as mentioned above... also may be ur subs cant handle it that much... provide some more info....

Username: Nick_tuttle

Post Number: 3
i blew 2 10" 800 watt mtx subs with all the power turned down and one 10" 450 pioneer sub and a 12" 650 watt pioneer....it sucks bad too much money

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9762
either the amp is bad, or more likely it's a lack of current for the amp or you have the amp gain set too high for the ehad unit line voltage, and the amp is clipping, sending DC voltage to the speakers and cooking the voice coils.
common when the amp puts out less power than you need and you use the gain to compensate for lack of power. this happens a lot with cheaper amps when people go by max power ratings instead of RMS for example

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 104
when you say 'turned down', keep in mind, the lower the number on the gain, the higher the actual output is..

(i.e. .2 volts is higher than 8 volts)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9786
that should be apparent when you adjust the gain by the change in output I'd think, but good to point out I suppose.. lol

"the amp is a vortex 1500 watt amp"
this says a lot about the problem already. actual power is probably about 250 watts RMS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us