Two amps and no sound HELP PLEASE

Bronze Member
Username: Dustyn

Post Number: 12
well I finished hooking up two PG octane r 4.02 amps. I have power goin to both amps but when I go to hook up my rca's I have no sound. Once there was a little sound in one sub but it faded out. i tested to see if the rca's had sound coming out an they did. what could be wrong? My right sub is hook to the amp with R+ an R- and for the left L+ an L-. could this also be the problem. need help asap thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 311
check your ground.. most problems of this nature have to due with bad or insuffcient grounds. make sure your ground to bare metal (scrape/sand off some paint if you have to.. check your lead somewhat short and try again). Same GA power wire should be the same GA ground your using..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
would I still get power to my amps if the gound was bad? both amps have the blue logo light come on. I had one amp and sub just a few days ago and it's was grounded at the same spotit is now and it worked fine. I'm using a 4g wire this time. I will check the ground and hope thats it...thanks.

I would like any other input from others as well

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 314
well power going to both amps i assumed that you just meant your positive wire coming in was hot by testing the line with a volt meter and wasnt aware that your amps actually showed a response. You havent mentioned anything about your remote wire.. you have this hooked up correctly right? has your system ever worked or is this a new setup that you havent been able to get working?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
well as far as i know the remote works cuz whe I turn off my truck the amps turn off aswell. I had one sub and amp before and it wa woking fine. i just got this other amp and sub (there the same as my others) and rewired everything. Like I said, the amps have power goin to them and turn on...but when I hook up my rc's there is no sound. I hooked my mini disk to the rc's to make sure there is sound coming from them and there is. But as soon as I put the rc's into the amps nothing. I know the thought maybe the new amp hade a fault but the one that I had before is'nt working to. I'm new at this stuff but i know the basic's to hook everything up. I also just added a power cap to the system but I dont think that would have anything to do with the sound coming out of the amps....just the power. anything else you may think of?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
anyone else????

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 318
dustyn..

you mentioned you rewired everything.. myself personally i would go back to the orignal setup. Start with your 1 amp 1 sub like you had before and try it... you said it worked fine before. Once thats working go and start adding the new amp and doing the wiring. But first make sure the system works before you start adding the second.. that can help with finding the problem.

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 319
i may see another problem that i overlooked at first.. the 4.0.2 are 2 channel amps right? and you have 1 amp per sub? or are you running both subs or the same amp?

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 320
i may see another problem that i overlooked at first.. the 4.0.2 are 2 channel amps right? and you have 1 amp per sub? or are you running both subs on the same amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
well i found out the problem.it was the wiring for the subs that were wrong. I have two amps. one for each sub. and I ran the left off the L+ L- and so on for the right. (different amp) i just bridged it and it works great now...thanks for your help. its funny how its always the simple things that go wrong. also I had to re-wire cuz i was running a 8g from my batt and I need to up grade to a 4g. once again thanks for everything.

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 324
yeah i read over your first post and when you said "My right sub is hook to the amp with R+ an R- and for the left L+ an L-. " i was trying to figure out what you meant cuz something didnt sound right. yeah 4ga is a good upgrade.. bridged those amps were 400watts @ 4ohms each. so 800 watts is too much current for 8ga wire. glad you figured it out.. just going back over everything helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
well i had it working an now its back to the same lol. I'm thinkin it might be my deck so i'm just going to buy a new one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us