Hey Jon or Glass, need help with possible amp replacement!

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 142
First of all, I would really like some help figuring out what is wrong with my system. I have been experiencing some issues the past few days where my system will be playing just fine and then all of the sudden will completely shut off. At first, I thought maybe the main fuse blew, but a few hours later I turned the system on and it started playing again. Now, I think it is amp related, almost like the amp is going into protection mode and shutting down or something. However, when I actually got around to checking it out today, I noticed the main led light on the amp wasn't lit, like it wasn't getting any power or something (or has completely died). I checked all of the connections and wiring and fuses and they are all fine. What are your thoughts on possible problems?

The second part of my question is to get your opinions on possible amp replacements if the amp is toast. I currently have the PG X200.4 running the system (front channels to comps and rear channels bridged to sub - about 400 watts RMS to each end). I like the idea of one amp due to space concerns, but am not ruling out two separate amps. I have looked a little into Audison, Arc Audio, Zapco, Tru Technology, and JL Audio and would like to find something not terribly expensive but much better quality than the PG amp I have now. A bit more power would be nice as well. I only gave $350 for the PG amp, and I would like to stay around $700-$800 total, at the most, for the new amp(s). Any thoughts on amps that would be good candidates? Thanks very much for all your help.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 143
bump

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 144
bump

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9754
sounds like a bad ground. re-ground the amplifier to bare sanded chassis metal and see if it helps.
it may also be a bad power connection within the amp.. that can be repaired by soemone who can solder and trace a bad connection

Bronze Member
Username: Yungsta

Post Number: 33
I also had that problem but it was the fuse coming loose when I drive and randomly coming back into connection giving me music again

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 146
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I am going to try to investigate a bit more tomorrow morning and will be sure to check the ground on the amp. Anyways, if I do end up replacing the amp, do you have any suggestions based on what I said in my original post? Thanks for the help.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 147
bump

Bronze Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 83
for my highs and mids (4 highs, 2 mids) i have the soundstream xta480.4. that was only about $150 on ebay. does a really good job.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us