Making kick pods for components

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3511
Alright, I should have a set of Resonant Engineering RE components shipping out in a couple days, and I'm gonna need to make a couple kick pods for the midbass drivers. I know a lot of people don't figure this when they make pods, but how much air space does each speaker need? Or doesn't it matter nearly as much with component speakers? Should I make them just big enough for the drivers to fit in them?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4519
As big as the space you're working with will allow. Typically a kick pod will be smaller than the required airspace of a driver. Check with RE for the thiele small parameters for that woofer and see how they model on WinISD.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3524
They don't have the thiele smalls on the webiste. I emailed them, but haven't gotten a response yet, (how suprising).

How crucial is the pod space when it comes to components? I wanna do it right, but when I look at other people who made fiberglass pods, they have no idea how big they are...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4095
RE won't respond to emails till November or whenever the release the new X.X.X subs. That is what they emailed me back before.
Good luck trying to call them either. I think they have 1 line/guy answering 100 calls.
As for your kick pods, make it as big as possible/space allowed. I think Jonathan said that too.
If possible, try and leave 1" of space between the back of the magnet and the enclosure surface. Anything less, and you will get high mid bass.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3526
Alright, thanks guys. I'll just try to make them as big as I can fit.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4525
It is pretty important for midbass performance. When you want a 6.5" driver to drop to 80hz or so, airspace is necessary. If the space is too small, the resonant frequency will be higher, say 100-120hz in some cases, dependant on the woofers resonant frequency itself. The driver will have a peak in that region as well, and while it will be more efficient at that frequency than it would have been infinite baffle, you will lose extension due to the rolloff below that. BUT, generally, you will get better bass response because the drivers are more on axis with you, and they have a better phase relationship with each other (less cancellation). I recommend you go to www.elitecaraudio.com and look at the install clinic on kick panels, they will show you what to do, including cutting a hole in the panel and screwing it tightly to the floor. That will help the woofer breath a bit more. Also, polyfill will help you a lot, stuff the panel as much as possible.

BTW, the average kick panel pod is around .1-.2 cu ft if it were completely sealed. If you were talking about a large car (older car) or a truck, you can get more space out of them, say .3-.4 in some cases. That is what the Adire Koda midbass drivers were really good for, you could get an optimal Qtc with around .15 gross volume.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3530
I'd never heard of drilling a 2 or 3 inch hole into the enclosure after your done, so you relieve some of the pressure into the carpet. You'd think a hole that size would defeat the purpose of a sealed box, or since it's screwed up tight to the carpet, is it pretty much sealed?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4530
You'll be shocked with the results, you just HAVE to make sure it's sealed tightly, and make sure it's on the back side of the kick panel. It works quite well, tends to alleviate the resonances that occur with having too small a box.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3532
Alright thanks guys. I'll try to make it as large as I can, without interfering with my feet, and I'll make sure to stuff it with poly fill and drill the hole. It it's too bad to smooth out with an eq then I'll have to try something different. All I can do is try it out.
Thanks for all your help Jon.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4532
Best of luck, fiberglassin is fun :-)

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 641
and messy :o.. on kickpanels.. ive never had them so i dont know but dont they get trashed sitting in the corner there where u throw your feet down every day? id like to put mine there but i think id just stomp em every day with my big feet lol.. any other aread where midbasses can work effectivly?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4540
They can, depends on how low your kickpanels are, how deep you make em, etc. I try my best to keep them from a place where I could bang them up. Next best alternative would be low door, possibly a location closer to the firewall if space would permit it.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 645
thats where my components are going... the factory mounting location on the doors ( which are 6 1/2's ) are in the lower corner of the door.. so its about as close to a kick panel as u can get without accually having one.. thats where my componenets are going ... i could modify the 5x7 stock locations in the back but i kinda want them up front.. i suppose i could try and fit the midbasses in the door as well

Bronze Member
Username: Spanky34

IL

Post Number: 19
i have a 95 grand prix sedan and was wondering how can i put speakers in the rear doors. I would prefer just to buy something to do it, but if i have to build it i can. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us