Experienced help needed with my ava!! :-( pleaseee

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 783
okay i just put my avalanche in a 2.48 cuft sealed box.
sounds good but its not. i dont even have the amp pushing the full 1000 watts yet and when i turned a song (freek a leek) up to 66 volume...(when i normally turn it up to like 72) it makes a snap or clap noise.

then when i turned my truck off i went to the back and pushed on the woofer. it used to go in and out easy. now it barely wants to move at all... is that because its in a sealed box now? i think somethings wrong. is it blown?
im going to take it out of the box tomorrow and look at it to see if i can see any visual damage.

if its blown i guess im going to have ascendant audio rebuild it for w/e the cost and get another one and only run 500w rms to each to be safe... i just dont understand how it could blow... many poepl run 1000w amps to them and even more. and im sure i wasnt hitting anywhere near 143db... ad this box turned out really good. its extremely solid and sturdy and well sealed.... i just dont get it!!!!

any help or anythign would be appreciated thanks.

also another idea i had in mind was if its ruined to get 2 RE SE 15s and run 500w rms each from the 1000/1... im so pissed....

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 784
or maybe a xxx.... my minds going crazy!

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 791
bump

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 861
when you pushed in on your sub did it make a scratchy sound at all? if not it prolly isn't blown. Your box is prolly perfectly sealed and that is why it is difficult for you to push dpown on the woofer compared to it being in a vented box. did your woofer distort at all? As for the clap noise you head I have no idea what that may be. Put it back in the previous box and see if it sounds the same.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 797
i tried listening for the scratchy noise and i did not hear it so that was one reason why i cant belive it wud be blown... and having a perfectly sealed box is good so thats good lol.... the "clap" noise sounds like as if u flicked the woofer hard i guess i never flicked it but lol... or maybe like flciking a plastic door panel. its weird...

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 798
oh and no distortion.... it sounded very clear besides that noise.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 799
but i;ll have to figure it out tomrrow i have school in the morning so i must go to bed

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4518
If you had it ported before, that's your problem. A sealed box DOES NOT control a woofer better than a ported box, a ported offers more mechanical control anywhere at or above tuning. Unlike ported, at resonance in a sealed box, a subwoofer will have high excursion and lack control. The reason a ported box woofer will push in easier is because your pushing is below the tuning of the port, anywhere above resonance, ported will limit excursion. Those drivers are efficient with power and don't need 1000W to get moving, and a sealed box doesn't allow the power handling of a ported box. You're likely bottoming the subwoofer out, and not hitting the volume you want because you lost 3db of efficiency.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2103
Trevor here is the info you requested regarding my Avalanche 15 box.

That enclosure for the Avalanche 15 is 29 1/2" w x 17" h x 11" d.

That give you a net volume of 2.20 cu.ft. with a gross volume of 2.38
cu.ft.
allowing for a sub displacement of .14 cu.ft. w/ vented bracing
displacement of .04 cu.ft.

Carpet - Charcoal Grey or Black
Terminal Cup w/ Spring Posts - Gold Plated

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 79
Hey trevor... i have a jl 1000/1 for my 2 avalanche 12s in a ported box... i was wondering could u help me set my knobs...thanks

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3509
Trevor, your Avalanche is never gonna need 1000 watts rms, especially in a 2.48 cf box.

Since your sub is in a sealed box, yes it's gonna be hard to push in, that doesn't necessarily meen it's blown. Your gonna need to take the sub out and look at it carefully if you think you damaged it.

Don't forget, since the Avalanche is such a low end monster, it has a very lose suspension. It's not super hard to bottom one out.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 802
i think i may get another and push 500 wrms to each in a sealed box... and also... im 98 percent sure its not blown... because at decent volumes the SQ is superior still.... but it doesnt ratle my bones inside enough... so i may be thinking of changing my whole system... maybe a us amps 2000 w amp and 3 12inch RE SXs... that or maybe 4 12 inch SEs ... idk yet... btu one more thing i want to experiment with is a box tuned to 26 hz... oh and is there one ported box bettrer than another? ex. either the L ported or the box thats kinda like switchbacks.. i cant explain like the port walls are parallel not perpendicular like the L port. because ive used 2 different ported box calculators one is L port and one is the other... id rather use the L port if its just as good.

but bottom line i want something to really shake u to where u dont want to drive at high volumes while keeping a decent price range... ex... not 2 RE MTs with 4000w rms... well thats not SQL anyway but.. i need more from my system! lol...

thanks for ur help guys....

ray- let me know the specs to ur box and HU and i can try to help... read the manual though its very helpful... make sure the input sensitivity is set right, thats the most important, and also set the infrasonic filter at or just below the tune of the box.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3902
I have yet to bottom out my ava Trevor. I am running it in a seled 2.5 enclosure as well with a very conservative 800 watts. As far as wanting your bones to rattle its different strokes for different folks for me my ava goes way beyond the level of enjoyment when I want it to:-) Hearing is not overrated so try to keep that in mind.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 807
im young i cant help it lol.... well i was pushing prolly like 1000-1100... i turned it down a notch and everythign is fine... actually louder then it was lol... and the SQ is superior... but i am on a misson to other young folks... to teach them (kids at my school) about car audio.... beause ive already started to... my 15 beats 4 12 inch CVRs with liek 1600w. i also have to beat 4 15inch CVRs and 2 12 inch T2s with a 30001bd ... im not looking to make ur ears hurt more then the rockford system but overall SQL and body shaking experience yes lol...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us