Question abut voltmeter

Username: Mtxaudiouser

Post Number: 9
since i fried my alternator and battery and its all fixed now and i still want a system. would buying a volt meter at autozone tell me if im frying it again or not?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1500
The voltmeter you plan on buying most likely cannot handle the amperage the alternator puts out.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4063
No, you need to be more aware of your surroundings. Before your alternator/battery goes, it'll give off warnings.
For example, when you blast your stereo, the lights on your car will dim with very bass note. That is a clear sign you should never ignore. You either turn down the volume or get HO alternator. If you ignore it, then your starter battery will get worn out. After that, your alternator dies.
Having a voltmeter/DMM will help you monitor the voltage activity in your car.
When your car is running, the voltage should be around 13.8v - 14.2v. When the stereo draws too much current, till force the voltage to drop all the way to 12.5v (your battery). If you keep that up, the battery will lose it's charge. When it falls below 10v, the battery will need to be replaced. No matter how much you recharge, it will not hold any power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i was just wondering because i dont want to blow my alternator again but it was only 150 watt amp so it may have been an old alternator or faulty wiring. im wondering if i can buy anything that tells me if im going to blow it again

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 476
hmmm, how old is this car and how does the stock wiring look?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
99 beetle and the battery and alternator was just replaced so it looks good

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4099
Listen to the warning signs. Lights will dim, RPM will be rough, and internal lights won't be as bright. All signs of alternator being pushed to the max.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us