Need some adivice

Username: Kazi

Dover, Deleware

Post Number: 1
Ok so far I have
Panasonic CQ-C9700U CD/MP3 player deck pushin
2 6x9's Pioneer 4 way speakers
and
MB quart RAA1000 amp pushing 1000 watts RMS at 1 ohm.

What kind of subs should I buy(was thinking type-r 12's)

I need a box that would fit into a 94 mustang coupe ... Crutchfield told me I had to have one custom made.

and should i buy a capacitor for my amp?

Basicaly I have no clue what to do because i have never owned subs before.

And i dont want to change my amp because i already bought it.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9657
type Rs are good subs.
www.reaudio.com has great subs too. the SE or SX lines would work well for you in the same or lower price range.
the cap won't help, but a larger alternator will.

Dover, Deleware

Post Number: 2
Thanks,
What would a cap or an alternator do?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2788
A cap is a quick cheaper alternative for an HO alternator basically.
The alternator is what powers you're system when the car is running. When you're alternator isn't strong enough to supply you're system with enough juice, you're voltage drops, cutting in to the power you're amps get/put out, and can cause clipping, which can damage the amp, and subs.

Dover, Deleware

Post Number: 6
So it would be well worth it to get a HO alt. instead of a cap? and i dont like RE because of the foam any other suggestions? Something that will run 1000 rms either 1 or 2 subs doesnt matter.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2790
Yes it would be worth it to get an HO alt, especially if you change amps, or add any more.
RE on the other hand is one of the best companies. Just look around on this forum and you should be able to get an idea on why... but if you're just set against them, Alpine type R's, or 1 Type X, sound Splinter,
2 Kicker CVR's...

Dover, Deleware

Post Number: 7
I was looking around and saw and Xtant X1244 and was wondering if you heard anything about them... I'm not set against RE but I didnt really like how they are foam, I dont knwo if that matters but i know foam rots ... thanks for the HoAlt. When i get back i gota spend alot of money i gues .. oh well beneifts of being in Iraq

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 297
re is a very reliable company and i don't think that u will keep a speaker very long to the point where u will have to worry about that...but idk some people do...its not that expensive to get a new foam surround...

Bronze Member

Dover, Deleware

Post Number: 14
Alright i went out and called them and ordered a .SX (just 1 12'') and hope everyones right...
Will that SX be a good match up with my amp?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9711
very good match. the sub takes up to 1500 watts RMS and takes it well.

as I said I have speakers from the 80s that still have original foam surrounds with no wear signs. you won't have an issue with it any more than you will with rubber breaking down from exposure to ozone and UV light.

as for caps and alternators..
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us