New..I NEED help.

Username: Tyler33

Post Number: 1
hey everyone I am new here. I found this site searching for subs on google so I signed up and thought maybe some of you could help me? I just turned 16 and will be getting my license next week hopefully. I have a 95 monte carlo that I purchased from one of my brothers friends. He wired it all up for a system but then he baught an eclipse and didn't get around to buying a system. The cd player in the car is a JVC KD-LH 1000. I dont know if that matter at all. Anyways what do I all need to buy for a system, since its all hooked up, do I just need subs and a amp? The problem I have is I dont have much money so I want something cheap but is good. It doesn't have to be that loud and I dont want it to take up much room in the trunk (need it for hockey stuff) I was searching on ebay and it seems like theres a lot of good deals. How man watts should the subs have combined? should I go with 10s or 12s? What are some good names to go with, and maybe you guys could tell me some subs/amp combos to buy off of ebay. Sorry I really dont know much about this kind of stuff. I would like to learn more and I want a pretty good system though. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 2
sorry I forgot another question. Whats RMS output mean? I saw 2 12 subs with 2300 watts with a RMS putout of 380, but then I seen 2 10's with 1800 watts with a RMS putout of 350. Thanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 709
the RMS wattage is the amount of wattage the speaker's can handle for everyday, continuous use. never look at MAX wattage, it is what the sub can handle for a few seconds, like for a tone burst at an SPL Competition.

if you are buying subs, you always want to match the RMS on the amp to the RMS on the sub. and it is not wise to underpower the subs, b/c you run the risk of clipping the signal to them if it is a cheap amp.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4012
If you're looking for some SQ, then stay away from Pyramid/Pyle/Lanzar/Sony/Boss.
I guess Hifonics (I'd never buy them) will work in your case. They don't cost much and produce decent power.

Post Number: 3
Thank you for the explination. Is 350 RMS watts pretty loud? What RMS watts do you think I should get? Since I dont wanna take up a lot of room should I go with 2 10? I noticed some 10s have more watts than 12's...

Post Number: 4
SQ?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4013
If you don't have much trunk space, then go with 2 10" subs in a ported box. Don't get fooled by the power numbers. It won't mean much by itself.
350rms for components is loud, but for subs, it's below average. 500w rms should produce good result for starters.

Username: Corey

Post Number: 2
sq=Sound quality.

Post Number: 5
Is phoenix good? How about kenwood? Heres a list of some links at what I am looking at. What do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PHOENIX-GOLD-12-DUAL-VOICE-COIL-700w-SUB-SUBWOOFER_W0QQi temZ5802404016QQcategoryZ18803QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KENWOOD-TORNADO-10-1400w-CAR-AUDIO-SUBS-SUBWOOFERS_W0QQite mZ5801090244QQcategoryZ3291QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2005-VISONIK-V108D4-10-DVC-1000w-CAR-SUB-SUBWOOFER_W0QQi temZ5801416992QQcategoryZ3291QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
The visonek looks good, any comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NITRO-BMW-3712-12-2-000-WATT-DVC-CAR-SUBWOOFERS-SUBS_W0QQi temZ5801416940QQcategoryZ18803QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Im also liking the nitro. What do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 295
um...heres a list of some good starter subs...
alpine type r
kicker comp vr
adire shiva
adire tempest
resonant engineering re
try to stay away from most stuff on ebay...
the subs listed should be at or around $150 a piece...on ebay...

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 296
o and its always better to go with one decent sub than 2 crappy subs if yur tight on money...

Post Number: 6
I Only want to drop about $100 on subs. I am liking the visonek 2 10s. Are they a decent company? Also for an amp is it better to have a more watt RPS output than the subs? Is nitro good enough to power what I am thinking about getting?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9652
ya get what ya pay for. especially true in the audio world.

read www.bcae1.com if you want a better understanding of car audio, too

Post Number: 7
Alright well I dont need a really good system. So I am thinking about getting those 2 10s and a nitro amp. I have one last question, my car is already set up for everything like I said in my first post. Will I only need them 2 subs and that amp and I'll be ready to go? Thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us