DLS Iridium Subwoofers?

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 123
Anyone Tried them?

I was looking at a 10 inch, I need a sub with less than 5.25 inch or less mounting depth. That will be louder than a W3V2 but more SQ than a JLW6V2.

I'm stuck between 2 of the new Koda 10" or getting a single DLS 10" Iridium Woofer.

I do like my DLS Comps, but comps and subs are very different things.

The Single DLS would takeup less space than 2 koda 10's but has less maximum excursion 14mm s the 18mm on the koda 10" and I do not think it uses an XBL^2 motor.

Have a Hifinics Older Z600 so either sub should work well with it.

Going for a SQ system than still has some bumps. Box will be sealed.

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 152
I can pretty much guarantee that they will have AMAZING SQ. I too love my DLS Iridium Comps. I have heard from someone that they heard 2 of the 12" models and he said they pounded really hard as well. I was looking at them myself before going with my RE's. I also have got to ask you where you plan on getting them as i havent been able to find them anywhere on the net, including sites that sell DLS merch.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 806
http://dls.se/Test%20reports/UR12australia.jpg
http://dls.se/english/Test_reports/IR15_test.htm

the shop i'm at more frequently than work sells them and has one just sitting up collecting dust.
i'll push it when i get back and let you know my opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
The UR12 is not the iridium.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
There is a guy on another forum I purchase my DLS stuff from he has access to the entire line for real cheap prices, well relatively speaking lol.

I thought it would be cool to go with somethign different, then again Kodas also fit the bill and I don't know anyone who has heard of them IRL. lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
To elaborate a little bit on my last comment. The UR12 is the Ultimate, not the Iridium. The Ultimate subs i have been able to find on the net to purchase, the Iridiums have been a diferent story. So, that pic of the UR12 doesnt even look the same as the Iridium.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Justin, let me know what kind of a price you can get the Iridium for, i am curious as to what they are going for. I too had connections with a guy that i got all of my stuff from "cheap". My DLS Iridium 6.2's i got for 450 shipped actually which is a pretty good price. I lost contact with the guy and he lives in Pennsylvania and i live in Iowa.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 807
i'm well aware of the difference between the two.

1) both the iridium and UR12 are indeed of the ultimate line.
the UR is just a different model than the iridium (which is why i posted a link for each/both).

2) Scott Buwalda chose the UR12 over the Iridium, (and won 1st place world titles) which speaks volumes as to the ability of the driver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
asked for price, I'm very temped to get 1 10" instead of waiting on the 2 Kodas, It does have a 3 inch Voice Coil Rather than the Kodas 2" Although the Kodas do have XBL^2 tech. I know 2 Kodas Will definately be louder, but I'm more interested in SQ.

I have to wonder how it would compare to 1 Koda to be more fair....I could probably get the Irridium 10" alot sooner than the Koda, but I'm kind of skeptical on it's SQ being better than the Kodas. I doubt it will be as loud since it has less excursion. But as I said thats not much of an issue. I could always purchase a second one later if not loud enough.

I got my 6.2' for like 450 or maybe 475 Shipped.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
mikechec9 so these subs are beter than subs using XBL^2 (Specificaly using new Adire Kodas?

I know the Kodas are not out yet, but are you saying these are in a compleatly different League?

If so it sounds as though 1 10" Iridium or UR10 would be a better choice than the Kodas. Space and SQ wise.

Why did he choose the UR12 over the Irridium? I don't understand oes it not use a smaller Voicecoil and different cone material?

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
One thing the kodas have over the DLS is that they are compatable with my eisting amp, 600x1 @ 4 ohm or 300x2 @ 2ohms

Looks like the Iridium10" or UR10 are only available in dual 4 ohm configurations meaning it needs to be run at 2 or 8 ohm...

One thing the Iridium has is that all my speakers would be DLS, and I might even consider buying a DLS amp for it.

Course I'd rather have better SQ, and keep the floor under one of my fold up rear seats avaibable.

Gosh does anyone know what my real best answer is?

BTW these would be going into a Nissan Titan KC.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 809
man, justin, i really couldn't tell you. i have heard all great things about both DLS and Adire subs, but unfortunately havn't had the pleasure of hearing either (of these in particular).
I found out that the Iridiums are supposed to be a bit tighter and lower than the UR's. but they are relatively new, so the team hadn't been using them. Keith Doney won 1st in '04 with the UR 12's but has since gone with the Iridiums this year.

old car w/UR12's 1st Place
Upload

new Iridiums (@CES 2005)
Upload

also Mark Brook's UR set-up (sick)
Upload

so while UR12's are evidentally capable of great things, the iridiums are supposed to be even more improved (tighter, lower).

i would probably personally go with adire, because i am familiar with their customer service: Great peoples. extremely helpful.
DLS on the other hand is a sweetish company, and i hate having to deal with their rep here in america. not helpful at all. even though they have been proven capable competiion wise.
but that's me. continue to dig and let us know what you come up with.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 810
"DLS on the other hand is a sweetish company, and i hate having to deal with their rep here in america. not helpful at all."

unless, of course, you purchase them from scott, who is of great help also (along with the staff). he actually knows considerably more than the US rep.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
I'm not planning on blowing up either of my woofers, the only woofers I have ever blown were on a home audio system when my friend plaed Master P lol, and these woofers were about 8 years old!

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
As Requested!

"Pricing would be around $300 for the 10", $350 for the 12", and $450 for the 15"."

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
If i new that they could be had at that price, i would have gotten one 12" instead of my RE's. Oh well, i am still happy. The RL-p will prob be my next setup, after that the Iridiums will be my baby.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3466
i helped design a box for the dls irdium 12's and its in the process of being built ill let you know how it comes out...the person who owns this is also running dls components and praises them over the focal line....his name is Leonard Day from what I hear he's known in the competition circle

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
cool I would appreciate it, how soon will you be finished? I still have the Koda 10" on pre-order so I can still switch but not for very long.

I'm not into comps, but it would be nice to have something that sounds real good without taking up too much space :-)

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 678
i heard 2 iridium 15's in a VW Golf the other day, and i COULDN'T BELIEVE how well they sounded (unbelievable SQ for 2 15's). but when he put in one of his rap CD's it you could hardly sit in the car!!
Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us