HU For Use In The House

Random Person
Unregistered guest
Does any one know how to get a power supply to a head unit i dont need to wire up any speakers or any thin i just want to beable to turn it on with out frying it cause i had gotten it for free because i was told there is a problem with the grafix on the face plate and i wanted to see if cleaning the connectors would help this matter but its a motorized face plate and i cant get the mask off with it closed so any help would really be nice thanks all

Silver Member
Username: Bananakrill

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 151
You have to get a 12 volt power supply. I have a pyramid PS36KX. It is 35 Amps. It converts 115 volt (your house plug) to 12 volt (car battery). I use it to test amps, subs, speakers, and radios. For a head unit I think all you need it like a 3 amps power supply. They sell them at Radio Shack. Make sure you get one with a positive and negative input and just hook the positive and negative from the radio up to the power supply. Easy!

Ramdom Person
Unregistered guest
I just looked at the priced and wow there $42 from radio shack and i just need to be able to turn it on once is there a "cheeper" way?

Silver Member

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 153
Yeah, do the same with a car battery. Positive to positive, negative to negative.

Random Person
Unregistered guest
i know i am probally getting annoying but is there a house hold item i could use?

dsoiyuceasd
Unregistered guest
Directly to the car battery??

Just find an AC/DC adaptor that puts out 12v dc with about an amp of power. You're going to have to clip off the end connection whatever it is. Normally, the wire with the white stripe is (+) and the other is (-).

Random Person
Unregistered guest
so like a battery charger for a RC Car?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 451
wire 46 cell phone chargers in parallel, :-), Seriously though, you can probably get them for literally dirt cheap because everyone gets a new one when they replace their cell phones. I just looked at mine, its .3 Amps. Just keep adding until you get to 9 or 10 amps.

Random Person
Unregistered guest
i have a charger i think that can do 9.6 volts or thats what the battery is im not sure

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 800
If you want a cheap alternative, buy a walkman.

Bronze Member
Username: Sandyouch

Post Number: 16
If you have one you can use a car battery charger! that plugs in the mains and puts out a 12v supply or just hook it to ur car battery if its only gonna be for a minute! saves spending money.

Bronze Member
Username: Tehkrapht

Texas USA

Post Number: 15
Like "dsoiyuceasd" said, just find a AC/DC adapter that outputs 12 volts DC. Somewhere on the adapter there should be a label like this (in the USA):

Input: AC 120V 45W 60Hz
Output: DC 12V 3.75A

Output is your main concern, make sure it is 12 volts DIRECT CURRENT, not AC, and has enough Amperage to pull your head unit. I use a Nintendo GameCube adapter, it has an output of 3.75 amps, which should be enough to run almost all factory and some aftermarket HUs.

Also, take care to match the polarities. The adapter will should always show the polarities, but if it doesn't, it's best just to play it safe and not use it. Connect the "Switched Power" lead from your HU to the + pole and the "Ground" lead to the - pole.

Bronze Member
Username: Thelonewolf

Post Number: 100
MAKE SURE TO CHECK YOUR CURRENT!!! If you hoock too much amperage to the HU it will fry, magic smoke is what you will get...

Silver Member

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 185
Too much amperage won't hurt it. If that was the case all your car electric apparatus would fry. Your deck in your car is hooked up to your battery, and there are 50-100 amps running through it from the alternator. Does your deck fry? No. Make sure there is at least the amount of amperage that the deck needs. Too much doesn't matter. If that was the case, my car would have blown up because I have a high output alternator that produces 200 amps and nothing has fried.

Bronze Member
Username: Shamuchef

Post Number: 57
take off the top of the unit and manualy turn gears to open faceplate very simple
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us