What is comprable to RE XXX?

Bronze Member
Username: Erikdagenerik

Livermore, CA US

Post Number: 35
I need a sub soon. I've done the research and it seems like I want to go with the re xxx, but they won't be available until nov. They are extremely hard to find on ebay or even in my local listings. I found a buyer for my sub/amp, so I will need a new setup within a few days. Can anyone give their opinion on what is the most comprable sub to the xxx?

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 581
Adire brahma...comparable in price and SQ...it won't get as loud but has better SQ...same xbl^2 motor...so they are very similar in many ways and probably match up the best

Or...

Eclipse Ti

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 856
Erik,

are you looking for more SQ or SPL?

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 857
and what size sub are you looking for?

Bronze Member

Livermore, CA US

Post Number: 36
marshall..im looking for more SPL. I know there are a lot of subs out there that sound really good, but can't handle as much as the xxx. Thats why Im asking. And I am looking for a 12". Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 263
the SX is from RE and is louder than the XXX and is cheaper

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 337
Yeah Erik, if leaning more towards SPL then the SX is for you.
And since your from CA also, your better off purchasing it through Advamced Car Creations out in Garden Grove, CA. This way you won't have to wait 2-3 weeks for your sub.

Just go to their website and give em a call, tell 'em your a member of this forum and they give you the same RE price plus you'll have your sub in less than a week, Ask for Twuam.

The SX is an awesome sub, louder than the x.x.x., yet still maintaining great SQ.
They're almost identical subs, SX leaning more towards SPL and x.x.x. leaning more towards SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 792
IDMAX would also be comparable. Not as loud as the SX of course, but it will still sound good, while be loud.

Bronze Member

Livermore, CA US

Post Number: 39
I just ordered the an IDMax 12D2 :-)

I found one for $279.99 new. If I chose an RE, it would be the xxx and they're so d@mn hard to find now, at least without waiting a while. While the sub's being shipped, Im bidding on an Orion 1200D for $215. I hope its worth the small investment.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 801
Orion 1200d for $215?... hmmm.. I do need a bigger amp. JK, thats a good price on that amp.

Anyways, good choice. I would love to have an IDMAX, but I don't need that much power. Type R is fine with me.

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 92
is the orion 1200D enough to power the IDMAX 12D2? Is the IDMax 12D2 a better overall sub than the Orion H2 12.2?

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 130
XXX does NOT use XBL^2 motor,

Go for the SX

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 863
yes...the 2004-2005 model X.X.X. does use XBL^2.

as for the new X.X.X. that is coming out, there are speculations that it will not be an XBL^2 sub. (some say it will, some say it wont)

the SX is a more efficient sub than the current model X.X.X. though.

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 131
Not from what I have been reading, they based their sub motor on XBL^2 but the motor is different. The BL Curve is different as well form what I have read.

Do you have any links or documents that say the XXX is XBL^2? I'll see if I can find what I have been reading.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 864
I know what your talking about Justintoxicated,

the x.x.x. is xbl^2, but it is just RE's spin on the technolgy. all xbl^2 subs are not identical, the x.x.x. have a higher motor force so that could account for the differences in its BL curve and a brahma's.

just look at ascendant audio subs, they are different (ex: the motors are smaller) yet they are still XBL^2 enabled drivers. (at least their discontinued lines)

go to REaudio.com and look at the x.x.x., it says that the x.x.x. is an xbl^2 driver.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4484
"Not from what I have been reading, they based their sub motor on XBL^2 but the motor is different. The BL Curve is different as well form what I have read."

It is XBL^2. The difference is that the XXX design uses a double stack of ~9" od magnets, a ~2" top plate, and a 3" 8 layer aluminum flatwound voice coil. The Brahma uses a triple stack of ~7"od magnets, a ~1.5" top plate, and a 3" 4 layer copper voice coil. XBL^2 in itself is not a specific motor, it is a topology, like overhung, underhung, evenhung, it is simply a method used, not a specific design. RE uses a longer coil to achieve higher excursion, and a taller top plate. The Bl curve is only slightly different, it actually looks a lot like the Adire Tumult does. It has more BL than the Brahma, and the curve is actually wider and flatter. Tradeoff is that the X.X.X. has near twice the inductance.That's only the motor differences, though, the suspensions are a lot different. They do have similar sound when both installed correctly, IMO the Brahma sounding just a bit better in a given application. If you want a SQ driver that gets loud, Brahma is a great choice. If you want a louder driver that sounds good and you want to beat the living snot out of the sub, the X.X.X is more resilient. X.X.X. is more power hungry, though. As far as specifics in BL, while the Brahma takes it's nosedive around 26mm, the X.X.X. nosedives closer to 36 (Yup, regardless of the 32mm X-max, which they rated at 32 because of the X-sus, which is the limit of the spider). Basically, this driver is suspension limited while the Brahma is limited by the Bl of the motor. It is more difficult to bottom out the Brahma, while the X.X.X could bottom out with enough power. But it would take a LOT of power to do it.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3996
You want power hungry sub, try RE MT.
Mine should be here next week.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us