RE 12 keeps impressing

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2056
So i have been testing my JL 12w6v2 and RE 12 all this week in my SUV with a 1.5 cuft ported box tuned to 32hz according to JL and RE for both subs its the right box and tune. The RE 12 is only 175 rms and the jl is 400 rms.

We all know these 2 subs are both underated and that the RE 12 can handle 250 rms easy and the JL 500 rms easy. Ive been using my crossfire vr1000d to test both of these subs and since the subs are dual 4 ohm voice coils i had them wired down to 2 ohms to match my crossfire for a 500 x 1 @ 2 ohm setting.

You may think im throwing double the power to the RE 12 but i watched the gain and set it accordingly and it just straight pounded and hit just about every note with the rap songs i played and had that nice punchy sound and got low when it needed to.

The 12w6v2 sounded more natural and musical but not as nice on the punch that the RE 12 provides or even the deep bass that the re 12 provides. The JL gets reasonably low on some tracks and then sounds differant on other tracks. I whould say that the jl 12w6v2 sounds better in a sealed application then ported based on my testing in my suv and that in conclusion that the RE 12 was my choice in subwoofer not only for the price of $69 but the performance of it in this ported box. It got louder and to me sounded better overall. The jl is more then twice the price and i think from now on im a RE fan. I use to be JL until i heard RE 12 and im moving up to the RE SX 15 very soon.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2768
The RE didn't bottom out at all? Even on the low frequencies? Thats easily 3 times its recomended power!
Wow, thats all I can say.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 342
I get mine in a couple weeks! 2 RE12's in a sealed box (3.5 cubic feet total) with 225rms going to each! That should be nice

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2058
Nope, it hits hard and clean with the ability to get low without bottoming out. So far ive played just RAP at it and it sounds really good with the kick drums of rock also. Works very well with my frontstage actually. Forgot to point that out. It just passed my expectations and i only paid $77 shipped thru www.reaudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 141
Chris, that is a huge sealed box for the RE's. RE recommends 1 cubic foot sealed and you are giving each 1.75. I wouldnt expect them to be as punchy as mine and MO's are.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 343
ACTUALLY Chris, that is the outside dimensions of the box so subtract all of the wood and THEN subtract the actual subwoofer inside. Looking at right around 1-1.25 each probably.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2771
Sounds like RE really knows what they're doing.

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 142
ACTUALLY CHRIS!!! Most people that list volumes of the enclosure dont include the wood, and the sub is allready subtracted from the number. Please do not be deceiving when listing numbers as you will get a response like the one i just gave. I am not a prik, i just didnt like the attitude that you just gave me. Truce???

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 346
im sorry chris, that isnt the tone that i meant it to be in LOL. I have nothing against you, you have helped me a lot. I see what you mean by you think i wrote that with an attitude, my bad. Didn't see it that way.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 640
what is the t/s term for the displacement of the woofer?(to subtract from internal box volume to get TRUE internal box volume for sub.):-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us