Which Alternator? - Is it Enough?

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 78
Nathan at Excessive Amperage has quoted me $299 for a 160A direct bolt-on alternator for my 4-Runner. Mr. Alternator has a 150A for $210. I have two questions:

1) Is the extra 10A worth the extra $90?

2) Are either of these gonna be enough? I'm running a KX1200.1 @ 1 ohm (1490w on birth sheet) and a KX450.2 @ 2 ohms (460w on birth sheet).

I'm a little worried that neither of these is big enough. Nathan can build me a 200A for even cheaper than the 160A, but it will not be a direct bolt-on.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 636
the general rule of thunb is for every 100 watts of power an amp produces, it uses 10A of current, or so i think.
so if your amp does approximately 1500 watts, it is pulling or trying to pull 150A of current alone.:-)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 637
add to that, Class D amp are more efficient at producing watts, so it is less A per 100 watts.

*thumb*

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 79
Yeah, the 10A for every 100w is what has me a little worried. On the other hand, I won't be driving around alot with my system cranked, so I'm wondering if these alternators will be sufficient.

Anyone else?

I sure wish Toyota had put a larger alternator on these things! It's much easier to find a bigger HO alt. for a Chevy!

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 648
you should be fine if you don't plan on running it wide open every day. how many amperes is your factory alt.?

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 649
if i got the 160A alt, i would have DOUBLE the amperes my factory alternator puts out.

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 83
My stock alt. is 60A. LOL.

Do you think the extra 10A is worth $90 from Excessive Amperage?

The only times I would really "crank" my system would be to show someone what it can do. I certainly won't be riding around with 1950w RMS blasting me away while driving.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 659
why not? it's 10A you didn't have.lol
my stock alt. actually does 85A on a mitsu lancer

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 88
Anyone else?

I just want to be sure this 160A alternator will be adequate before ordering it. I'd love to go with the 200A, but I'm afraid it would cost me an arm and leg to have it installed.

Silver Member
Username: Bananakrill

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 155
Get the 200A!!

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 97
Any idea on what kind of installation costs I'd be looking at? I know a 200A would require bracket mods, and Nathan said it would also require some slight wiring mods.

Username: Mtxaudiouser

Post Number: 2
get the 550A LOL

Anonymous

help!!this was the most relavant topic so... ok can anyone give advice...what is the best way in providing more power to ice inside a car, the alone car battery provides power but may soon drain down when the amps,subs,tv's etc are on, is there a simple way off adding more power avaiable to the ice system, iam thinking an additional battery or upgraded alternator? thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 643
amps = watts / volts

amps = 2000 / 14

= 142 amps for the system alone when run on full RMS

you really should go with the 200 amp alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 644
180 amp at the least.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 447
wait, you all aren't factoring in the original 60 amp alternator. If the 160 amp alternator or 150 whatever, runs the system that would leave the 60 amp for the car, correct?

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 217
No, my 60A alternator would be replaced with the HO alternator. I won't be using two of them.

Anyway, what the heck is "ice"? LOL. Is that slang?

Anonymous

lol, ice ..in car entertainment
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us