NO ENCLOSURE!!!! WHERES MY MIDS!???!???!

Bronze Member
Username: Bass_buster_bob

Post Number: 57
ok, i have a '94 grand prix SE and the door speakers are set into a dumb cup thing protruding from the door and the bottom half of the cup is wide open with legs screwing the cup to the door. So the mids just arent very solid at all. the snares sound weak. so all i get are highs from the tweeters and lows from the subs. Anybody know any way i could fix this? maybe cut a hole and turn the door into an enclosure somehow? if anybody knows about this problem please help. i spent almost 200 dollars on the front speakers and pontiac didnt provide an enclosure to work with. I NEED SOLID MIDS!!!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9449
you need an amplifier for your front stage, and you need to isolate the midranges with some dynamat or similar material to insulate them a bit instead of having them mounted straight to the flimsy resonant plastic door mouldings.

those two things together will bring out your front stage the way it should be.
a head unit is generally too weak to give a good front stage of any kind.

Shelpie
Unregistered guest
>you need an amplifier for your front stage

GWolf, what do you mean? I'm new - what my "front stage" ? Do you mean in the part of the audio system that comes before the speakers - as in "dude, you need a better, more robust signal into your speakers?"

Paul

Bronze Member
Username: Shocksyde

Post Number: 36
nah front stage are your front speakers

it's what makes it seem like you're at a concert and the music is "in front of you"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
yeah, i have an amp i am getting repaired right now that i wanna hook to my speakers. i got some nice monster speaker wire too. its running off the head unit right now. but what do you mean about isolating the midranges with dynamat? what would be the point of dynamatting the dumb plastic cup? that would just be dynamatting the flimsy plastic legs to the door wouldnt it? theres no actual speaker hole. it just sits on top the door basically. i talked to a guy at the audio store and asked what i could do about those things, he said he didnt know and dynamat would be pointless if the speaker isnt even mounted into the door.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9472
anything that reduces resonance is going to be beneficial. your best bet would be to skip the door location entirely and use fiberglassed kick pods for the front speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
heres pics of them. I dont even think they make kick pods for a '94 grand prix. i dont wanna put too much into the car anyway cauase it has almost 350,000 km on it. I just want something to give me a more solid sound. would dynamat really do anything to this?

Upload

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9502
ah I remember those
not there no, but what you could do is mount the speaker to the door panel itself instead of in that tube bracket. you'd just need the grille to cover the speaker that came with it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
not sure how you mean to mount it to the door panel itself. the metal door itself is full of huge uncoverable holes(no hole behind the speaker mount cup though) with wires and stuff going in and out of it all. the door panel cover thing is just a big flimsy plastic thing. how exactly do you mean to mount the speaker to the door panel itself? I do have the speaker covers that came with it too.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9523
I meant mount the speaker in the plastic door panel on the interior of the door.. not in the sheet metal.
I'd still just glass some kick pods though and skip the door locations

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 445
mmmmmm, the thought of mounting speakers to nice resonant plastic door panels brings joy to my heart. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Supraspyder420

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 142
I put some speakers in my friends car that had a speaker mount like that and we just used silicon around the plastic and metal to stop vibrations between the two, and then layered dynamat around the plastic and on the sheetmetal to create a enclosure type deal. Sounded ALOT better.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9649
personally I'd weld up a metal replacement for the plastic brackets, but I don't think he wants to put that much work into it.. I dunno

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
i dunno. i dont think my jbl speakers like tight spaces. i made a tiny sealed wood box for them before and tried to put them into the door with it and when in the box all they did was distort and sound like dead crap. I had them in an 8" sub enclosure i had kicking around and they sounded sweet. Im gonna try see what they sound like in the plastic door panel and if they sound good ill cut a hole in the plastic and dynamat the speaker into it. I LOVE it when at concerts when the drummer hammers the snares they penetrate your ears with a loud CRRACK like gunshots. I would like to have nice loud cracks from my speakers and so far those door brackets just give a weak tssst sounding snare.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9743
those mids aren't made for a sealed enclodure. their specs are for infinite baffle.. so a sealed box would give poor results as ya mentioned.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
ok. i cut a hole into the plastic panel and put the speaker in it. its not sealed of course but it doesnt sound too good. in fact it sounds worse because it flutters and distorts easier now and gives weak mid-bass still. I'm pretty much outta ideas now. no matter what i do i just cant get decent midbass volume outta these front speakers. is it that JBL makes crappy speakers and i made a bad decision and could have gotten some nice infinity ones for only a little bit more? or would they sound basically the same due to the mounting area i have to work with? If i were to get a professional speaker installer to do it up for me they'd probably have to rebuild almost the entire door panel and charge hundreds of dollars. who knows. thanks for the advice though glasswolf. my car doors just dont seem to cut it.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9763
like I said at first.. better off going with kick pods instead with that car.. but if you won't go that route, you pretty much spend at least as much to fab a new lower quarter door panel out of 'glass to get good results.
car audio is rarely the first thing on the minds of car designers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us