Front speakers in mono

HIFIGUY
Unregistered guest
Any body ever run their front speakers in mono? I was thinking about bridging my 2 channel amp to get more power to the front for staging purposes. Currently that amp is in 4 ohm stereo (75 watts x 2), but I want more of a front stage by changing it to 4 ohm mono (300 x 1, each speaker gets 150).

My only concern is how it may affect songs that have parts of the song coming through the left channel and other parts coming out of the right channel.

Does anybody have experience with this??

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9434
erm, can't do it.
bridging doesn't actually put out more power.. your amp is 300x1 @ 4 ohms bridged, and 150x2 @ 2 ohms stereo.. same-same.
remember if you bridge the amp, you have to wire left and right channels in parallel which makes for a 2 ohm load and the amp is only stable to 4 ohms bridged most times.

anyway it'd sound like crap in mono. if you want more power bridge a 4 channel amp or get a bigger 2 channel amp and leave it in stereo.. OR get a second identical amp, and put one on the left channel bridged, and one on the right channel bridged.

HIFIGUY
Unregistered guest
If I wire the speakers (4 ohm, scv) in series and bridge the amp, the amp would be "seeing" a 4 ohm load, correct? If I do this the speakers would get a clean 150 watts rms, correct?

Why would it sound like crap??

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9440
no, two 4 ohm speakers in series is 8 ohms.. you'd get the same power as you do now in stereo, but you'd lose all of your stereo separation and thus it'd sound lousy.

if you want to understand bridging go to www.bcae1.com and read the section called "amplifier bridging" in the right hand menu.
Perry did a fantastic job of explaining exactly what's really going on in the amplifier when it's bridged.

saying the amp "sees half the load" is just a way of visualizing the fact that you're using the negative and positive voltage rails of the amplifier's power supply and inverting one of the channels, so the amp is only stable to twice the load it would be in stereo.
in reality the amp does see the load presented.. it's just not stable to the same loads as it is in stereo. an 8 ohm load is just that.. but the amp when bridged is still only stable down to an actual 4 ohm load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us