Inverting subs

Bronze Member
Username: Secretsoundz

St. Paul, Mn USA

Post Number: 14
Does inverting(magnet out)my sub in its box change spl/sq?
What purpose does it serve besides looking cool?

Also, can someone experienced give me an opinion on ma audio subs, I'm eyeing the ma1200XL.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 606
there is not much of a difference.
just make sure you reverse the polarity on the amp, by wiring the + and - opposite.(in case you didn't know):-)

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 757
yeah. but in many cases, even that's not necessary. just listen to both inverted and not and determine which sounds best. particularly though, with multiple subs.
the main concern to me with inverting is the sound of the mechanical movements (and potential lead slap) now made more evident by the motor structure being exposed, as opposed to being sealed inside the box.

Upload

besides that though, there is absolutely no audible difference. keep in mind though that the space in the box is larger now because of the lack of the baskets' displacement.

Username: Johntheguy

Post Number: 3
looks sweet are those yours

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9419

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/inverted.html

new one I wrote the other day

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 763
yeah. those are my "Brahmharas." Brahma MKII hybrids w/Sadhara Motor structures.
i'm gonna keep them like this until next spring, when i'll build an aperiodic enclosure w/1" plexi so i can still view the motor structures.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 764
"yeah. but in many cases, even that's not necessary. just listen to both inverted and not and determine which sounds best. particularly though, with multiple subs."

clarification-i was referring to inverting the polarity of your signal, not the subs.

Upload

with multiple subs (like these), you can often cause cancellation if you don't reverse the polarity on one pair vs another.
even for just two subs, play around with direct/reversed polarity to determine which plays best.
(i maintain- listen for mechanical noise with an inverted setup. it may or may not be apparent.)

Bronze Member
Username: Secretsoundz

St. Paul, Mn USA

Post Number: 15
Thanks for the info,
nice pics mike,

My enclosure is tuned to 36hz. Its a custom 2-12 ported box with bare minimum space for the
sub displacement.

So if I like inverting them, it should lower the
tuning? Whatever plays lowest loudest I want.

robert d r d r d
Unregistered guest
do you wire the power cables in reverse like the ground and the battery cable or just the speaker channels

Silver Member
Username: Cnafets

Post Number: 140
Just the speaker cables.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9439
ooooooh boy

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 768
*chuckle*

Bronze Member
Username: Kunit

Post Number: 70
uh oh...yea that might invert your amp and send it out through the trunk...

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 142
With a question like that - like somebody had reversed 'his power cables' too ...lol !!!!!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3463
Just to make it clear robert or any novice crossing this post...that means dont reverse the power and ground or up in smoke we go.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3464
(dont)=power and ground on the amp

robert d r d r d
Unregistered guest
yea i learned from that i just bought a capacitor and i isntalled the wires through it but i accidently hit the possitive terminal with the negitave terminal and now the capacitor wont turn on so i gotta return that and also a voice coil in my audiobahn got so hot it melted the part that it lays on that orange layer under the cone ... and im not over powerin the sub cause my amp is rated at 300 rms x channel but i think its overrated

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9572
1- pray they take back the capacitor. you damaged it with faulty installation. you should eat that cost, not the store.

2- it's called the spider

3- coil overheated because amplifier is clipping due to lack of current or gain set too high
also installer fault

Bronze Member
Username: Fatz

Bossier City, LA USA

Post Number: 16
So it's not a speaker preference then, huh? I can mount a woofer both ways and simply decide which I like better?

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 128
sure thing

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9588
yessir.. as long as you account for the difference in driver displacement.
that can be done before building the box, or you can add mass to the interior of the box after inversion to compensate for the missing driver displacement. Either way keeps the same box net volume.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us