Speakers shutting off?

Anonymous

I just had a amp and sub installed. Ever since I got it back my speakers all the sudden just off. The sub keeps playing but all four speakers just quit. I find that if I shut off the car, and restart it, they usually come back on. It's happened three times in 2 days now. Is my HU going to crap? Its a Alpine 7874 few years old. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9380
take it back to the installer.
you have a loose connection that was messed up when the head unit was removed to install the amp.

Anonymous

Thanks.

I'm curious as to what wire it could be? I'll take it back to them tomorrow.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9391
any of the speaker wires.. if one grounds out to the chassis, that shorts out the radio's internal amplifier and causes it to shut off.

Anonymous

Wow. Didn't know that. Sometimes when I adjust the volume nob, I can hear it click through the speakers? Im guessing that has to do with the wire situation? I wish I could talk to you on a more easier set up. Do You got any type of Messenger? Thanks alot.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9409
just tell the installer the problems.. if he knows anything he should have it fixed in no time

Anonymous

Dear Glass,

I took the deck out myself. Fairly easy. I didn't find ANY wires touching metal, OR that were un-connected? I can't think of what it could be? I checked all the wires twice. The the guy that installed it is on vacation for a week.

I thought I could fix this myself seeing it might of been just a wire. Any other suggestions? Thanks alot.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9498
could be a damaged head unit, too.
if he did short anything out shoving the deck back into the dash (not uncommon to happen) it may have been a momentary short but may have damaged the internal amp.
one of the speakers could also have a loose wire touching the metal of the car door or body which causes a short as well, grounding to chassis
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us