Subwoofer acting weird

Username: Fleadog27

Post Number: 4
I have a Fosgate Stage 1 Dual 4 ohm 12"" sub in a ported box and its acting a fool right now. When the power is turned on for the car the amp kicks on and the sub starts moving up and down on its own with no music playing and it does this constantly and it sounds like crap. What could cause the sub to move involuntarily of tghe music....wiring? something else....any help is appreciated. thanks

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3900
you prob have a bad rca wire. I suggest you have it form an alter ego and start a fight club to release its energy:-)

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 831
check to see if you screwed on of the rca's to the frame some how. ( i had a buddy do that once) and also check your ground.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3447
If your rca's are fine, try taking a piece of wire, and ground the rca's. Just touch one end to something metal in your car, and the other end on the end of your rca. I've people have grounded rca's before, and it helped.

Post Number: 5
everything seems to be connected fine and whatnot....any other ideas?

Post Number: 6
It might be the RCAs. Every time I tap the RCAs on the terminal end where it connects to the amp a loud pop is given off by the sub? Would soemthing like this cause the sub to move up and down on its own with no music playing?

Silver Member
Username: Cnafets

Post Number: 128
Do they move when the rcas aren't connected.

Post Number: 8
nope. nothing happens when dissconnected

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 947
Could it be the EQ with the X-over playing up...

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 837
From what i see it could be one of many things.

#1 bad RCA wires
#2 gound-loop
#3 bad HU or RCA inputs on amp, EQ, or Crossover

Post Number: 9
it actually stopped for no reason i could think of. i unhooked everything and hooked it back up. i put the ground at a different point and it still moved on its own. But about 5 minutes later it just stopped moving on its own. its really strange and if starts up again i will need some advice i guess

Silver Member

Post Number: 955
Wait a second, is like a popping scathing sound that lasts for a few brief time then goes away.....

Post Number: 10
only when the RCAs were touched did it make a quick popping sound

Silver Member

Post Number: 964
Well this is a start, at least it still works, prise the lord, ok have you tried wiring it up to another sound system just to make sure though.

Then you can go step, by step into solving the funny....

Silver Member

Post Number: 965
Just when back and read the comment about it moving up & down, sounds like the capacitor inside the amplifier or EQ X-over for the sub bass, or one of the VR variable resistors, friend, take the amplifier in for a check over before you do major damage that will cost a whole lot more....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
it started moving on its own again this morning. And a new problem came up, my battery was drained when I tried to start it up. The amp never shut off and drew power throughout the night. What would cause the amp to never shut off and drain my battery? Could that also be a factor in the involuntary movement?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
to test is the RCAs are messed up I got a new pair of RCAs and hooked them up. The sub did the same thing and moved on its own without music still. So the problem is not the RCAs

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 842
you prolly have the remote wireatached to the wrong blue wire behind your reciever. switch it to the other blure wire or the one that says remote wire or rem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
naw the remote is hooked up correctly behind the headunit

i know that for sure

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
bump

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 846
what type of ampdo you have? your ampcouldjsut be going bad too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
It is a Lightning S1.600D. It is sorta old so i guess that might be the problem. damns I had thought that might be it but I dont want it to be

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3453
Tapping on the end of your rca's isn't gonna prove anything. Yes, they will make some noise if you tap the ends, that doesn't necessarily meen they are bad. Anybody here play guitar? It's kinda like when you have the amp on with the chord plugged in, but not plugged into the guitar. Touch the free end, you'll get a lot of noise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
what is a way to find out what is wrong with my amp?

Username: Walk_ez

HI

Post Number: 3
I have a Kicker L5 12" woofer in a vented box with a Rockford fosgate 6001bd 600rms but it isn't really bassing very deep like I feel it should I had 2 Sony explode 10" that bassed harder than the 1 L5 can anyone tell me why....is it the vented box? The 10's were in a closed box do you think that is the diff...closed vs vented? Please help if anyone knows anything or suggestions. thank you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us