1000/1 question

Silver Member
Username: Bananakrill

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 125
My buddy just had an argument with the guys at our local auto radio shop. He has the 1000/1 and it is the second one that he's fried. They are going to replace it again but nobody knows why it's frying. The guy there said that you have to have the input voltage set on low. My buddy has balanced 16V coming from his deck (Eclipse 8053) Wouldn't you set the input voltage on the amp to high since the Input Range is Switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS (Low / High) and he has 16 volts? Even if it was 8 volts? And would that contribute to damaging the amp? Could a bad cap ruin his amp? I would appreciate any help.
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9355
1- he has the CD8454 I'm guessing.
suggest he switch it from 16V to 8V, and leave it at 8V for pre-out voltage.
if I recall, the switch is on the side of the head unit.

2- make sure his input sensitivity on the amplifier isn't set too high. It should be set to minimum sensitivity, which would indeed be 8V once he corrects my first suggestion.

Silver Member

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 126
Actually he has the 8053, I have the 8454. And he is using the balanced line converter that makes the signal voltage 16 volts. He also has the Zapco C2K6.0X for his fronts, which accepts up to a 16 volt signal. So he won't be switching the preout voltage to 8 volts, you know what I mean? He does have the gain on the 1000/1 almost all the way down with the input voltage switch (see figure above) on high. My question was, should the switch for input voltage be on high or low?

The signal is a high voltage signal, the amp takes up to an 8 volt signal which is what the "high" switch is set for (800mV-8V RMS). The "low" switch is set for lower voltage input (200mV-2V RMS). He has high voltage preouts, so he set it to high. Is that right? Does that make any sense?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 335
THat amplifier shouldn't be having more than 8 volts running to it. Input Range: Switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS. Your pushing it 16volts which is double what it should handle.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 547
you have to put the switch on high...however, you still won't be able to turn the volume up more than halfway otherwise you'll fry the 1000/1 again...i'd suggest turning it down from 16V to 8V...8V is still a heavy signal...16V is ridiculous...not necessary by any means.

Silver Member

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 127
I just found out he is using 8 volt for the subs, but 16 volt for the highs. But the switch should be on "high" was what I thought. The guy at the car audio store insisted that it be on "low". And he's been in the business for 15 years. I think 16 volt is ridiculouse anyway, even for the highs but my buddy is crazy. Almost got in a fight with these guys at the shop.

Silver Member

Post Number: 557
i bet 16V comes in clear as anything though with no noise whatso ever...have you heard it yet? what does it sound like?

Silver Member

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 146
It sounds good. But he has all his settings weird so it sounds normal. Plus he has no sound deadening so... I don't know. It should sound like heaven, but it sounds okay.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 43
I gotta question. My friend's Sony amp even has the volts listed on his amp's gain. Now, I know some people don't like Audiobahn, but my A8000T doesn't seem to have it listed on the gain, how can I tell it's voltage? I know Audiobahn is better than Sony however. I don't mean to steal this post, but I didn't see a reason for wasting webspace and posting something near identical. If someone could generously slip me an answer, it would be most appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
look in your manual or email audiobahn to find the input voltage
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us